Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why aren't there turn signals at the intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee avenues?
Issue: A reader wants to know why the city has never installed turn signals at the intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee avenues.
"It is such a bad bottleneck there, especially during rush hour," he wrote.
Status: City Engineer Bill Wehrley said the city recognizes there are a number of intersections that need upgrading.
Wauwatosa follows an evaluation and approval process that includes observing and counting traffic that turns over multiple hours and multiple days, he said.
"We would then look at the hardware that is out there, have a design consultant design it and advertise for bids," Wehrley said. "Of course, it is contingent on the budget and whether the common council approves it."
Wehrley said new technology affects the way traffic is directed.
"Now there is microwave technology that detects traffic and regulates the signals instead of them being on a fixed time pattern," he said. "Intersections with the newer technology now can favor the higher volume of traffic on a main road over a lower volume road that intersects."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?