Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is the purpose of the new Discovery Parkway?
Issue: A reader wants to know more about Discovery Parkway, recently opened as a north-south road between Watertown Plank road and Swan Boulevard. He is concerned that it will be congested.
"The road doesn't seem to have been built to accommodate a high volume of traffic, and the 25 mph speed limit is slow," he said.
Status: While the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee builds out its research park facilities there, the parkway serves traffic between Watertown Plank Road and Swan Boulevard during major road construction.
City officials including Director of Public Works Bill Porter, City Engineer Bill Wehrley and Alderwoman Jill Organ said the parkway is meant to eventually serve as an access road. They noted that once construction of Innovation Drive to the west of Highway 45 is complete, scheduled to happen at the end of 2014, the parkway will fulfill that purpose.
"It's not meant to be a through-street handling higher volumes," Organ said. She said the slower speed limit and a parkway roundabout are "traffic calming" measures.
As Swan is reopened for traffic traveling west, Porter said, the intersection of Discovery Parkway and Swan Boulevard will have stop signs as an interim control.
"There has been talk about traffic signals there and there is a preference for a roundabout at that site, but that's several years out," Porter said.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a cul de sac at Capitol and Lisbon?
- Ask NOW: Can I turn right on red over railroad tracks?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?
- Ask NOW: Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair Mall closed?
- Ask NOW: Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
- Ask NOW: When will the house near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
- Ask NOW: How does the city decide which sidewalk squares to replace?
- Ask NOW: When will the city provide more off-street parking for North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will the Watertown Plank Road reconstruction project include converting the coal plant?