Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is the purpose of the new Discovery Parkway?
Issue: A reader wants to know more about Discovery Parkway, recently opened as a north-south road between Watertown Plank road and Swan Boulevard. He is concerned that it will be congested.
"The road doesn't seem to have been built to accommodate a high volume of traffic, and the 25 mph speed limit is slow," he said.
Status: While the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee builds out its research park facilities there, the parkway serves traffic between Watertown Plank Road and Swan Boulevard during major road construction.
City officials including Director of Public Works Bill Porter, City Engineer Bill Wehrley and Alderwoman Jill Organ said the parkway is meant to eventually serve as an access road. They noted that once construction of Innovation Drive to the west of Highway 45 is complete, scheduled to happen at the end of 2014, the parkway will fulfill that purpose.
"It's not meant to be a through-street handling higher volumes," Organ said. She said the slower speed limit and a parkway roundabout are "traffic calming" measures.
As Swan is reopened for traffic traveling west, Porter said, the intersection of Discovery Parkway and Swan Boulevard will have stop signs as an interim control.
"There has been talk about traffic signals there and there is a preference for a roundabout at that site, but that's several years out," Porter said.
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a cul de sac at Capitol and Lisbon?
- Ask NOW: Can I turn right on red over railroad tracks?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?