Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What does the historical society do with donated articles?
Issue: A reader asked us to answer a few questions concerning the Wauwatosa Historical Society, including whether the organization keeps or sells donated items. "If they keep them, where do they store them? Are they thinking of putting up a building on their back lot?
Status: Karen Barry, who handles the society's membership and is a liaison for potential donations, said the Wauwatosa Historical Society keeps items it feels are appropriate based on vintage and connection to the city. On occasion, she said, donors have given items with the intent that the organization can sell them.
The main storage area is the third floor of the Kneeland-Walker House, 7406 Hillcrest Drive.
"Some larger items that are too heavy to haul upstairs are kept in the basement," Barry said, adding that just a few items are kept in the Little Red Store next to the railroad tracks in the Village.
Anyone who wants to donate items may call (414) 774-8672 to make arrangements for bringing them in. A historical society representative will travel to view items too large to transport.
Barry also said there are no plans to build behind the Kneeland-Walker House.
"We have our gardens there," Barry said, adding that the annual Firefly Art Fair is held on those grounds.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?