What can be done to keep raccoons out of trash?
Issue: A reader is having trouble keeping raccoons out of her new garbage cart and wants to know if the city has any suggestions for dealing with this problem.
Status: Mike Krieter, operations superintendent, suggests double-bagging the garbage to block the scent it produces. He also recommends taking actions that would make the cart less appealing to an animal such as putting mothballs in the cart, spraying the cart with bleach and being particular about what food scraps are thrown away.
If those options don't work, residents can put a brick or rock on top of the cart as long as the object is removed before the garbage is collected, he added.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?
- Ask Now: Will the city fix 68th Street between State Street and Milwaukee Avenue?
- Ask Now: Why is there snow on the sidewalk on a stretch along Potter Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will North Avenue west of Mayfair Road be fixed?
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: How does the Peony Restaurant stay open?
- Ask Now: What is happening to the lagoon area north of Burleigh Street on the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: What does the city earn, or lose, on its recycling program?
- Ask Now: Why are North Avenue bike lanes wearing away so soon?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?