Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What are the rules for having a fire pit?
Issue: A reader wrote to me because her neighbor has a fire pit and she is irritated by the burning smell. She wants to know if there are any laws in Wauwatosa regarding fire pits.
Status: Amy Erron, Wauwatosa Fire Department office manager, told me that most lots are too small to have a fire pit. In order to burn in Wauwatosa, the fire needs to be 25 feet from anything that can burn such as trees, garages or sheds, she said.
If the lot is large enough to have a fire pit, residents can only burn firewood. Portable fire pits must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions, meaning if the instructions require leaving the lid on while burning, residents must obey that, Erron added. But, as long as these requirements are met, there are no rules regarding how often residents may have a fire, Erron said.
If a resident notices an illegal fire pit he can call the police department at 471-8430 or the fire department at 471-8490, Erron said. She explained that the police department may be a better option because the fire department does not answer after hours or while on call but the police dispatcher can contact the fire department during these times.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?