Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What are rules for bringing a dog into the park?
Issue: A reader wants to know if dogs are allowed to run free in the parks or if they are required to be on a leash. The reader also wants to know if there are designated areas for dogs.
Status: I talked to Ken Walbrant, Wauwatosa's superintendent of parks and forestry, and he explained that dogs are required to be under control and on a leash when in a city park. Before last year, dogs were not allowed in the parks at all, but the Park Board changed that rule so people could walk their dogs on the Oak Leaf Trail, which runs through Hart Park. There is no designated area for dogs, he added.
Police are able to enforce the leash law, so call if you see a violation.
Milwaukee County parks also allow dogs in the park, as long as the dog is on a strong leash and under the owner's control, according to the county parks website. There are portions of these parks that are posted "no dogs allowed," beaches, athletic fields, etc. Dog owners are expected to clean up after their pets and dispose of pet waste at their homes - not in the parks.
Milwaukee County also allows leashed dogs on the Menomonee River Parkway, from Grantosa to Concordia and Center to Church Streets. Dogs are not allowed on the parkway from Grantosa to Silver Spring Drive.
The cost of breaking any of the county's dogs-in-the-park rules can be a $200 fine.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?