Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What are rules for bringing a dog into the park?
Issue: A reader wants to know if dogs are allowed to run free in the parks or if they are required to be on a leash. The reader also wants to know if there are designated areas for dogs.
Status: I talked to Ken Walbrant, Wauwatosa's superintendent of parks and forestry, and he explained that dogs are required to be under control and on a leash when in a city park. Before last year, dogs were not allowed in the parks at all, but the Park Board changed that rule so people could walk their dogs on the Oak Leaf Trail, which runs through Hart Park. There is no designated area for dogs, he added.
Police are able to enforce the leash law, so call if you see a violation.
Milwaukee County parks also allow dogs in the park, as long as the dog is on a strong leash and under the owner's control, according to the county parks website. There are portions of these parks that are posted "no dogs allowed," beaches, athletic fields, etc. Dog owners are expected to clean up after their pets and dispose of pet waste at their homes - not in the parks.
Milwaukee County also allows leashed dogs on the Menomonee River Parkway, from Grantosa to Concordia and Center to Church Streets. Dogs are not allowed on the parkway from Grantosa to Silver Spring Drive.
The cost of breaking any of the county's dogs-in-the-park rules can be a $200 fine.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?