Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
What are rules for bringing a dog into the park?
Issue: A reader wants to know if dogs are allowed to run free in the parks or if they are required to be on a leash. The reader also wants to know if there are designated areas for dogs.
Status: I talked to Ken Walbrant, Wauwatosa's superintendent of parks and forestry, and he explained that dogs are required to be under control and on a leash when in a city park. Before last year, dogs were not allowed in the parks at all, but the Park Board changed that rule so people could walk their dogs on the Oak Leaf Trail, which runs through Hart Park. There is no designated area for dogs, he added.
Police are able to enforce the leash law, so call if you see a violation.
Milwaukee County parks also allow dogs in the park, as long as the dog is on a strong leash and under the owner's control, according to the county parks website. There are portions of these parks that are posted "no dogs allowed," beaches, athletic fields, etc. Dog owners are expected to clean up after their pets and dispose of pet waste at their homes - not in the parks.
Milwaukee County also allows leashed dogs on the Menomonee River Parkway, from Grantosa to Concordia and Center to Church Streets. Dogs are not allowed on the parkway from Grantosa to Silver Spring Drive.
The cost of breaking any of the county's dogs-in-the-park rules can be a $200 fine.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?
- Ask Now: Will the city fix 68th Street between State Street and Milwaukee Avenue?
- Ask Now: Why is there snow on the sidewalk on a stretch along Potter Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will North Avenue west of Mayfair Road be fixed?
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: How does the Peony Restaurant stay open?
- Ask Now: What is happening to the lagoon area north of Burleigh Street on the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: What does the city earn, or lose, on its recycling program?