Varying mailing address confuses Tosa reader
Issue: A reader noticed that sometimes her mail lists Wauwatosa as the city and other times it lists Milwaukee. She wants to know why this is.
Status: Sean Hargadon, spokesman for the U.S. Postal Service, explained that this is partially because Wauwatosa is a branch of the Milwaukee Post Office and Milwaukee services the area. But, the important part of the address is the ZIP code, he explained. As long as the ZIP code is correct, the city name doesn't really matter.
He added that ZIP codes don't always coincide with municipal boundaries. Some ZIP codes serve multiple communities, and sometimes a single community will have multiple ZIP codes within it, he said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue be repaved and its bridges rebuilt?
- Ask NOW: Why are dogs allowed at the Tosa Farmer's Market?
- Ask NOW: Can the dedicated lanes at Menomonee Parkway and Swan Boulevard be changed?
- Ask NOW: Is cheese displayed outside of refrigeration safe to buy?
- Ask NOW: When will the Menomonee River Parkway be repaved?
- Ask NOW: Is Currie Dog Park expanding?
- Ask NOW: What is happening with the former Vogue Cleaners property?
- Ask NOW: What can I do about unsightly properties?
- Ask NOW: When will Alterra finally open?
- Ask NOW: When will county fix lagoon north of Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: Why do firefighters shop for groceries while on duty?
- How often are Tosa streets swept?
- AskNOW: Why are water rates increasing?
- Is it OK to drive my vehicle in bicycle lanes?
- Ask NOW: Overnight parking passes in Tosa?
- Ask NOW: Should mail read Wauwatosa or Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will mess under Harmonee Bridge be cleaned up?
- Ask NOW: What is status of proposed Meijer in Tosa?
- Ask NOW: "Walk" signal button frustrates reader
- Ask NOW: Is Currie dog park expanding?