Traffic light poles on Mayfair Road are unusually bulky
Issue: A reader wants to know why the new stoplight posts on Mayfair Road are so bulky.
Status: Elizabeth Schneider, signal operating engineer for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, said WisDOT has been installing monotube poles that are strong enough to hold longer arms so a signal head can hang above each lane.
She also gave me an update about the signal timing along Mayfair Road, which I wrote about a few weeks ago. As I explained then, the new signals are on an adaptive system that collects data from the pavement. They are currently collecting data to determine the best timing. The data collection will be done in February and the adaptive system will then be turned on, Schneider explained.
Schneider added that, overall, the timing of the signal cycle along Mayfair is now longer in order to allow more cars to get through on each green light. The green light last longer for all directions, so even though there may be a longer wait, once the light turns green, more cars are able to get through.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can homeowners dispute sidewalk replacement decisions?
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are U-turns at stoplights still illegal?