Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is the construction project on 115th Street near Bluemound Road?
Issue: Our reader specifically asked about the construction he saw on the Underwood Parkway along the Menomonee River.
Status: Construction at 115th Street and the Parkway is part of a $7 million effort by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District to rehabilitate a two-mile stretch of iron pipe known as the Underwood Creek force main.
A force main line is a sewer drained under pressure from a pumping station rather than by gravity.
Work is from the Underwood Parkway east of the Elm Grove border to, eventually, along Watertown Plan Road east of Highway 45. Corroded pipes, discovered by inspection in 2007 and 2009, are being repaired with a thinner fiberglass liner.
"It's a newer technology," said MMSD Senior Project Manager Keith Kalinger.
Kalinger said the project began two months ago and is scheduled to run through spring, 2015. He said work on the pipeline, originally built in 1983 as an important part of the district's pollution abatement program, will be completed in sections so that the main will be available in case of overflows.
Bicyclists may use the trail that runs along the parkway during the duration of construction, Kalinger said.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects
- Ronald McDonald House in Wauwatosa to double number of families it serves
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options