Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the daycare center at 73rd and Center streets closed?
Issue: A nearby resident asked, "What's happening with the vacant daycare center on 73rd and Center? It seems like (it's been vacant) over a year."
Status: The building at 7327 W. Center St. will remain vacant for the time being. The building, which looks like a single-family home, has a history of commercial use. Development Director Paulette Enders and Building Inspector Fred Knapp said the building meets city zoning and code requirements. Principal Planner Tammy Szudy said daycare licensure is the issue.
Valerie A. Richard, who has owned the building since 2007 under the business name VAR Center LLC, confirmed the problem. Two daycare operators, one Children's Play and Learning Center and the other Gramma Josie's Development Center, occupied the building in recent years.
"Before I owned it, the building was a medical outpatient center for a number of years," Richard said.
Without licensure, Richard said, the operators could not make rental payments.
A Wisconsin Department of Children and Families clerk said details about licensure history were lost when the state installed a new information system.
Alderman Bobby Pantuso said the vacancy is one reason to complete a Center Street business development plan.
"With North Avenue work planned, we are going to see increased traffic on Center Street," he said. "We need to look at what we want to see develop there."
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a cul de sac at Capitol and Lisbon?
- Ask NOW: Can I turn right on red over railroad tracks?
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?
- Ask NOW: Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair Mall closed?
- Ask NOW: Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
- Ask NOW: When will the house near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
- Ask NOW: How does the city decide which sidewalk squares to replace?
- Ask NOW: When will the city provide more off-street parking for North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will the Watertown Plank Road reconstruction project include converting the coal plant?