Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the daycare center at 73rd and Center streets closed?
Issue: A nearby resident asked, "What's happening with the vacant daycare center on 73rd and Center? It seems like (it's been vacant) over a year."
Status: The building at 7327 W. Center St. will remain vacant for the time being. The building, which looks like a single-family home, has a history of commercial use. Development Director Paulette Enders and Building Inspector Fred Knapp said the building meets city zoning and code requirements. Principal Planner Tammy Szudy said daycare licensure is the issue.
Valerie A. Richard, who has owned the building since 2007 under the business name VAR Center LLC, confirmed the problem. Two daycare operators, one Children's Play and Learning Center and the other Gramma Josie's Development Center, occupied the building in recent years.
"Before I owned it, the building was a medical outpatient center for a number of years," Richard said.
Without licensure, Richard said, the operators could not make rental payments.
A Wisconsin Department of Children and Families clerk said details about licensure history were lost when the state installed a new information system.
Alderman Bobby Pantuso said the vacancy is one reason to complete a Center Street business development plan.
"With North Avenue work planned, we are going to see increased traffic on Center Street," he said. "We need to look at what we want to see develop there."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can homeowners dispute sidewalk replacement decisions?
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are U-turns at stoplights still illegal?