Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
How quickly must dog droppings be picked up?
Issue: A reader wrote to me because her neighbor lets his dog's waste build up in his yard. She wants to know if there is a rule against this and what she can do to get her neighbor to clean up after his dog.
Status: James Beix, epidemiologist with the Wauwatosa Health Department, said owners should clean up after their animals within three days if the waste is located on the owner's personal property. But, owners are expected to clean up animal waste immediately when it is not on their own property, he added.
If someone has a complaint about a neighbor who is not cleaning up after an animal, he or she should call the health information line at (414) 479-8939, Biex said.
If there are no prior complaints against the property, the Health Department will usually send the owner a letter, Biex explained. If there is a history of complaints, the department will inspect the property to determine whether a problem exists. If so, the owner will be given 10 days to clean up the mess.
If the owner does not comply they can receive a citation.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a cul de sac at Capitol and Lisbon?
- Ask NOW: Can I turn right on red over railroad tracks?
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?