Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
How quickly must dog droppings be picked up?
Issue: A reader wrote to me because her neighbor lets his dog's waste build up in his yard. She wants to know if there is a rule against this and what she can do to get her neighbor to clean up after his dog.
Status: James Beix, epidemiologist with the Wauwatosa Health Department, said owners should clean up after their animals within three days if the waste is located on the owner's personal property. But, owners are expected to clean up animal waste immediately when it is not on their own property, he added.
If someone has a complaint about a neighbor who is not cleaning up after an animal, he or she should call the health information line at (414) 479-8939, Biex said.
If there are no prior complaints against the property, the Health Department will usually send the owner a letter, Biex explained. If there is a history of complaints, the department will inspect the property to determine whether a problem exists. If so, the owner will be given 10 days to clean up the mess.
If the owner does not comply they can receive a citation.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomo
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?