Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
How quickly must dog droppings be picked up?
Issue: A reader wrote to me because her neighbor lets his dog's waste build up in his yard. She wants to know if there is a rule against this and what she can do to get her neighbor to clean up after his dog.
Status: James Beix, epidemiologist with the Wauwatosa Health Department, said owners should clean up after their animals within three days if the waste is located on the owner's personal property. But, owners are expected to clean up animal waste immediately when it is not on their own property, he added.
If someone has a complaint about a neighbor who is not cleaning up after an animal, he or she should call the health information line at (414) 479-8939, Biex said.
If there are no prior complaints against the property, the Health Department will usually send the owner a letter, Biex explained. If there is a history of complaints, the department will inspect the property to determine whether a problem exists. If so, the owner will be given 10 days to clean up the mess.
If the owner does not comply they can receive a citation.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: How does the Peony Restaurant stay open?
- Ask Now: What is happening to the lagoon area north of Burleigh Street on the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: What does the city earn, or lose, on its recycling program?
- Ask Now: Why are North Avenue bike lanes wearing away so soon?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets