How does the city choose, asphalt or cement?
Issue: A reader wants to know how the city determines whether to replace a torn-up street with asphalt or cement.
Status: "There is no hard and fast rule; generally we put back what was there," Bill Porter, director of public works, said.
It can also matter what time of year the paving work is taking place because asphalt plants shut down over the winter, but concrete can be poured year-round. He said the city also looks at the budget and traffic patterns because concrete is more expensive, but also more durable.
Finally, the city also considers whether there is trenching under the pavement because concrete bridges the gaps between trenches, while asphalt may buckle instead, Porter added.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?