How does the city choose, asphalt or cement?
Issue: A reader wants to know how the city determines whether to replace a torn-up street with asphalt or cement.
Status: "There is no hard and fast rule; generally we put back what was there," Bill Porter, director of public works, said.
It can also matter what time of year the paving work is taking place because asphalt plants shut down over the winter, but concrete can be poured year-round. He said the city also looks at the budget and traffic patterns because concrete is more expensive, but also more durable.
Finally, the city also considers whether there is trenching under the pavement because concrete bridges the gaps between trenches, while asphalt may buckle instead, Porter added.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?