Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
Grassy area in Village isn't too impressive
Issue: A few readers have written to me about the open area in the Village between Harwood and Wauwatosa avenues, noting that the grass is brown there and that the area could use some improvement.
Status: Kathy Ehley, executive director for the Village Business Improvement District, explained that maintaining this area is difficult because there is no water source nearby.
Further, the dirt is only 1½ inches deep. Debris from road construction in the 1970s lies underneath, she said.
These conditions make it difficult for grass or other plants to grow there. Ehley said she spent an entire summer trying to get the grass there to grow - watering it three times a day - but was unsuccessful. She has planted flowers, but they get pulled out, she added. This past summer the BID installed benches and waste receptacles there, and people seem to be enjoying them, Ehley said.
"We want it to be a useful green space, but it really needs to be embraced by the community," Ehley said.
Residents who are interested in helping can join the Wauwatosa Beautification Committee, a volunteer organization that works to improve Wauwatosa's appearance. Visit wbc-wi.org for information.
The city's master plan does not have a definite goal for this area. More discussion needs to happen due to the complexity of the area, Ehley said.
"There rarely is a simple solution if you really look at the ramifications from any changes," Ehley said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?