Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Are Wauwatosa students attending too many days of school?
Issue: A reader, after talking to a Wauwatosa School District teacher, said she wonders why students need to make up missed days because of the weather.
"The teacher mentioned that Wauwatosa students already attend school more days than what the state of Wisconsin requires," our reader wrote. "If this is true, why do we have to make them up?"
Status: School Superintendent Phil Ertl said Wauwatosa students attend the required 180 scheduled days of school. This year, he said, any missed days were scheduled to be made up Feb. 17, March 14 and the Friday before Memorial Day.
"We schedule classes on professional development days when we need to," Ertl said. "When we have to, we can make up those professional development days in summer or it could be in online development sessions."
Ertl said the 180 required days of class has not changed in his nine years in Wauwatosa or in the 14 years he has served overall as a superintendent in Wisconsin.
"We would like to start in August, but we are not allowed to," Ertl said, noting some 60 percent of students already are involved in extracurricular activities during August prior to the school year start in September.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will there be more caution signs at Martha Washington Drive and Milwaukee Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are new streetlights being placed because of coyote sightings?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the zoo building a new entrance?
- Ask Now: Why did we hear so much gunfire from the Wauwatosa Police Department in the fall?