Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Are Wauwatosa students attending too many days of school?
Issue: A reader, after talking to a Wauwatosa School District teacher, said she wonders why students need to make up missed days because of the weather.
"The teacher mentioned that Wauwatosa students already attend school more days than what the state of Wisconsin requires," our reader wrote. "If this is true, why do we have to make them up?"
Status: School Superintendent Phil Ertl said Wauwatosa students attend the required 180 scheduled days of school. This year, he said, any missed days were scheduled to be made up Feb. 17, March 14 and the Friday before Memorial Day.
"We schedule classes on professional development days when we need to," Ertl said. "When we have to, we can make up those professional development days in summer or it could be in online development sessions."
Ertl said the 180 required days of class has not changed in his nine years in Wauwatosa or in the 14 years he has served overall as a superintendent in Wisconsin.
"We would like to start in August, but we are not allowed to," Ertl said, noting some 60 percent of students already are involved in extracurricular activities during August prior to the school year start in September.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?