Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Are Wauwatosa students attending too many days of school?
Issue: A reader, after talking to a Wauwatosa School District teacher, said she wonders why students need to make up missed days because of the weather.
"The teacher mentioned that Wauwatosa students already attend school more days than what the state of Wisconsin requires," our reader wrote. "If this is true, why do we have to make them up?"
Status: School Superintendent Phil Ertl said Wauwatosa students attend the required 180 scheduled days of school. This year, he said, any missed days were scheduled to be made up Feb. 17, March 14 and the Friday before Memorial Day.
"We schedule classes on professional development days when we need to," Ertl said. "When we have to, we can make up those professional development days in summer or it could be in online development sessions."
Ertl said the 180 required days of class has not changed in his nine years in Wauwatosa or in the 14 years he has served overall as a superintendent in Wisconsin.
"We would like to start in August, but we are not allowed to," Ertl said, noting some 60 percent of students already are involved in extracurricular activities during August prior to the school year start in September.
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?