Can neighbor trim tree that's touching his house?
Issue: A reader wrote to me because his neighbor has a large, old tree that hangs over his yard and rubs against his house during storms. He wants to know who has the responsibility for fixing the tree, and how far he is allowed to go to fix it himself.
Status: Gregg Blando, property maintenance inspector, said this question comes up quite often, and it's a tricky issue because it becomes a civil matter that could result in a legal situation.
Blando stressed the importance of taking reasonable actions to solve the problem. A resident should first talk to the neighbor and document the conversation, he said. If that does not work, the resident should send the neighbor a letter through certified mail indicating that the resident has talked to the neighbor and asking when the neighbor will correct the problem. If the neighbor still doesn't fix the problem, the resident probably needs to talk to an attorney, because it is a civil matter and the city will not get involved, Blando said.
"First be neighborly about it, but ultimately it is a legal question, so talk to an attorney," Blando said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?