Can neighbor trim tree that's touching his house?
Issue: A reader wrote to me because his neighbor has a large, old tree that hangs over his yard and rubs against his house during storms. He wants to know who has the responsibility for fixing the tree, and how far he is allowed to go to fix it himself.
Status: Gregg Blando, property maintenance inspector, said this question comes up quite often, and it's a tricky issue because it becomes a civil matter that could result in a legal situation.
Blando stressed the importance of taking reasonable actions to solve the problem. A resident should first talk to the neighbor and document the conversation, he said. If that does not work, the resident should send the neighbor a letter through certified mail indicating that the resident has talked to the neighbor and asking when the neighbor will correct the problem. If the neighbor still doesn't fix the problem, the resident probably needs to talk to an attorney, because it is a civil matter and the city will not get involved, Blando said.
"First be neighborly about it, but ultimately it is a legal question, so talk to an attorney," Blando said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?