Do tar spots spell long-term damage for maples?
Issue: A reader noticed that the maple trees in Wauwatosa are losing their leaves early. He also has noticed that the leaves are covered in black or brown spots, known as tar spots. He wants to know if this is harmful to the tree, and whether the leaves will be normal next year.
Status: Ken Walbrant, superintendent of parks and forestry, said the leaves are dropping due to the tar spots and the drought.
Tar spots are a fungal disease that can cause leaves to drop. This is not fatal to the tree and will not damage next year's leaves, he said.
"We got the worst of both worlds this year because we had a long, wet spring, which stimulated the fungal disease, and then we had a drought on top of it," Walbrant said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are U-turns at stoplights still illegal?
- Ask Now: Why are some streets covered with gravel?
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?