Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
Issue: A reader wants to know if any governmental regulation pertain to the use of LED lights in signs. "The optical store on Mayfair Road just south of North Avenue uses them and now the Lutheran Church at 121st Street and North Avenue has them in a sign," the reader wrote. "I think they are really hard on the eyes. I'm concerned about more and more signs using the extra bright LED lights."
Status: LED (light-emitting diode) lights are not prohibited by the city, said Karl Schreiber, development coordinator in the Building and Safety Division. He said the only concerns the city would have pertain to whether signage flashes or scrolls.
Industry professionals said that because LED is an emerging technology, it has not yet come under close scrutiny.
No plans exist to study LEDS, said Patricia McGillicuddy, manager of technology for the New York City-based Illuminating Engineering Society of North America.
"There needs to be a critical mass of government-led concerns for a study committee to be formed," she said. "We're not quite there yet."
Carrie Meadow, managing editor of LED Magazine, which covers the industry for professionals, said any regulations of LEDs will depend on local concerns on a case-by-case basis.
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are U-turns at stoplights still illegal?
- Ask Now: Why are some streets covered with gravel?
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?