A patient tried to escape police custody while at Froedtert Hospital, leading to a search of surrounding residential neighborhoods last week.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A 31-year-old Oak Creek man who was wanted on multiple warrants and had a history of weapons violations and being assaultive to police had been brought to Froedtert Hospital for medical clearance following an arrest by West Milwaukee police July 3.
About 7:30 p.m., the prisoner took off from the emergency room and ran through the alley on Robertson Street near Gridley Avenue. Wauwatosa police were called to assist the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office with the manhunt.
The police dog pulled its handler through the gate to a backyard in the 8300 block of West Portland Avenue. The prisoner - who was given two warnings to come out or the dog would be released - surrendered.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Eisenhower resale seeks sellers
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound? (1)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Feb. 4
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Feb. 4
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Feb. 8
- Video: Wauwatosa man makes 'miracle' recovery after dying for 8 minutes (2)
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Council mistaken in not funding Center Street Park
- Wauwatosa officials could soon participate in meetings via computer
- Work at State Street Station in Wauwatosa has neighbors rattled (5)
- Wauwatosa students win dozens of awards from Alliance for Young Artists & Writers