A patient tried to escape police custody while at Froedtert Hospital, leading to a search of surrounding residential neighborhoods last week.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A 31-year-old Oak Creek man who was wanted on multiple warrants and had a history of weapons violations and being assaultive to police had been brought to Froedtert Hospital for medical clearance following an arrest by West Milwaukee police July 3.
About 7:30 p.m., the prisoner took off from the emergency room and ran through the alley on Robertson Street near Gridley Avenue. Wauwatosa police were called to assist the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office with the manhunt.
The police dog pulled its handler through the gate to a backyard in the 8300 block of West Portland Avenue. The prisoner - who was given two warnings to come out or the dog would be released - surrendered.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (2)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement
- Wauwatosa's Diva Day brings shopping deals and business boosts
- Wauwatosa things to do: August 27
- Suspected pipe bomb draws neighborhood attention in Wauwatosa