Alterra Cafe wins final approval for Wauwatosa location
Construction start date not set yet
The coffee soon will be brewing at Alterra Café.
The Common Council on Tuesday unanimously approved final plans for the 3,200-square-foot, one-story coffee shop at 68th and Wells streets.
There was no discussion prior to the council vote that night.
Developer Sean Phelan last week told the Community Development Committee that he hasn't set a start date for construction. However, aldermen said they are anxious to see the long-vacant medical clinic building that's on the site now removed.
Townhomes that some neighbors complained were too massive to fit the character of the area had been approved for the property. With the continuing sluggish housing market, however, property owner/developer William Ibach looked for other options.
The Alterra project moved quickly through the approval process, with the final approval coming a month after the preliminary plans received the council's OK.
"The final plan is essentially identical, except the driveway on 68th Street is now proposed as exit-only when it was initially an entrance-only," Economic Development Director Paulette Ender said.
The Board of Public Works has authorized the café to encroach into public right of way for outdoor seating.
The plan calls for a garden room with large doors that open when the weather is nice and lighting that will give the outdoor seating a glow similar to the company's lakefront café, Phelan said.
"I see them (neighbors) converging on this for coffee all the time," Alderman Don Birschel said. "This corner will finally be attractive."
Hours of operation were set at 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays and 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. weekends.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Waukesha School District expanding partnership with Montessori private school
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: April 23
- U-Haul moving into former Harley-Davidson plant in Wauwatosa
- Teen apparel store Garage coming to Mayfair
- Wauwatosa Public Forum
- Suburban Woman's Club of Wauwatosa awards scholarships to teachers
- Seniors now eligible for free Milwaukee County bus passes
- MMSD bringing Schoonmaker creek above ground near river in Wauwatosa