Alterra Cafe wins final approval for Wauwatosa location
Construction start date not set yet
The coffee soon will be brewing at Alterra Café.
The Common Council on Tuesday unanimously approved final plans for the 3,200-square-foot, one-story coffee shop at 68th and Wells streets.
There was no discussion prior to the council vote that night.
Developer Sean Phelan last week told the Community Development Committee that he hasn't set a start date for construction. However, aldermen said they are anxious to see the long-vacant medical clinic building that's on the site now removed.
Townhomes that some neighbors complained were too massive to fit the character of the area had been approved for the property. With the continuing sluggish housing market, however, property owner/developer William Ibach looked for other options.
The Alterra project moved quickly through the approval process, with the final approval coming a month after the preliminary plans received the council's OK.
"The final plan is essentially identical, except the driveway on 68th Street is now proposed as exit-only when it was initially an entrance-only," Economic Development Director Paulette Ender said.
The Board of Public Works has authorized the café to encroach into public right of way for outdoor seating.
The plan calls for a garden room with large doors that open when the weather is nice and lighting that will give the outdoor seating a glow similar to the company's lakefront café, Phelan said.
"I see them (neighbors) converging on this for coffee all the time," Alderman Don Birschel said. "This corner will finally be attractive."
Hours of operation were set at 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays and 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. weekends.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting