A couple was arrested for armed robbery after they reportedly forced their way into a home in the 4000 block of North 100th Street in Wauwatosa last week.
It was the couple's tools of choice allegedly used in the robbery - a closet hanging rod, a metal crutch, a brick and a claw hammer - that made the incident so unusual.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
The man who lived at the home called police to alert them people were trying to rob his girlfriend at 12:32 a.m. May 17.
He said a 23-year-old Milwaukee man known "as the neighborhood drug dealer," accompanied by a 23-year-old Milwaukee woman, showed up at the house yelling that he owed them money.
The man hid in a bedroom closet while the couple looked for him, with the female intruder carrying the closet rod and the male intruder holding the crutch, which he had used to break a kitchen window.
The couple had been at the home earlier in the day - although it was not clear why - and they learned that the occupant's girlfriend had Suboxone medication, which are used to treat heroin addiction. So, as they searched for the occupant that night, they yelled they would take his girlfriend's pills instead of money.
At some point, the intruders also threatened the occupant's girlfriend with the brick and the claw hammer.
Police arrived, and arrested the couple.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Village streetscape project passes through Tosa's Common Council
- Meijer opens in Wauwatosa, draws overnight campers in parking lot
- Wauwatosa Relay for Life's fundraising, participation double from last year
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: From a personal quest to a rug store in Tosa
- Meijer to open in Wauwatosa Tuesday
- Fire crews battle flames at Sherwin-Williams paint store (1)
- Wauwatosa police search for armed bank robbery suspect
- Tosa letters to the editor: Destination Imagination
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 6
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Aug. 6