Wauwatosa's All-City Read has seen solid turnout at its events for adults and children, and offers several more events to help local readers explore the themes of "Rocket Boys," a novel by Homer Hickham.
Children's activities revolve around the book "Hollow Earth," written by Tosan Carol Barrowman.
· Book vs. Movie: Watch "October Sky," a movie based on the book "Rocket Boys," at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Rosebud. Stay for a talk back session comparing the two. Milwaukee School of Engineering English and film professor Katherine Wikoff will lead the discussion. Admission costs $5. Refreshments will be available for purchase
· "First and Farthest": Learn about the space race during this show at the planetarium at Wauwatosa West High School. Show times are 7 p.m. Friday and 1 and 2:15 p.m. Saturday. Tickets cost $2 at the door.
· Video chat with Homer Hickam: The "Rocket Boys" author will speak and take audience questions via video chat broadcast on the big screen in the Wauwatosa West High School auditorium at 7 p.m. Monday. A $5 donation to Hickam's favorite charity, Forgotten Felines, is suggested.
· Battle of the Bartenders: Twelve Tosa bars and restaurants have bartenders competing to create the best rocket-inspired cocktail. Visit TosasAllCityRead.com to find a list of participating establishments, then visit them to try their creations. Voting will be allowed online. From 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 27, the bartenders will compete head-to-head, mixing their drinks for judges and the crowd at Cafe Hollander. They will be judged on performance, appearance, taste and adherence to the theme.
The All-City Read is an effort organized by the Wauwatosa Neighborhood Association Council, with the intent of bringing community members together to get to know each other and have some fun, said Maureen Badding, chairwoman of the All-City Read committee.
"Everyone has been amazed at the variety of activities," she said. "It's gotten them talking to neighbors."
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: June 30
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (3)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department