Wauwatosa's All-City Read has seen solid turnout at its events for adults and children, and offers several more events to help local readers explore the themes of "Rocket Boys," a novel by Homer Hickham.
Children's activities revolve around the book "Hollow Earth," written by Tosan Carol Barrowman.
· Book vs. Movie: Watch "October Sky," a movie based on the book "Rocket Boys," at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Rosebud. Stay for a talk back session comparing the two. Milwaukee School of Engineering English and film professor Katherine Wikoff will lead the discussion. Admission costs $5. Refreshments will be available for purchase
· "First and Farthest": Learn about the space race during this show at the planetarium at Wauwatosa West High School. Show times are 7 p.m. Friday and 1 and 2:15 p.m. Saturday. Tickets cost $2 at the door.
· Video chat with Homer Hickam: The "Rocket Boys" author will speak and take audience questions via video chat broadcast on the big screen in the Wauwatosa West High School auditorium at 7 p.m. Monday. A $5 donation to Hickam's favorite charity, Forgotten Felines, is suggested.
· Battle of the Bartenders: Twelve Tosa bars and restaurants have bartenders competing to create the best rocket-inspired cocktail. Visit TosasAllCityRead.com to find a list of participating establishments, then visit them to try their creations. Voting will be allowed online. From 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 27, the bartenders will compete head-to-head, mixing their drinks for judges and the crowd at Cafe Hollander. They will be judged on performance, appearance, taste and adherence to the theme.
The All-City Read is an effort organized by the Wauwatosa Neighborhood Association Council, with the intent of bringing community members together to get to know each other and have some fun, said Maureen Badding, chairwoman of the All-City Read committee.
"Everyone has been amazed at the variety of activities," she said. "It's gotten them talking to neighbors."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11
- Business Notes: Feb. 11
- Fat Tuesday: How Wauwatosa celebrated
- Wauwatosa George Webb employee tricked into giving away $1,000
- Tosa officers return to work following police-involved shooting