Staff at a Brookfield resale shop alerted police to an unusual amount of new, high-priced clothing coming into the store, suspecting the items had been stolen. The tip resulted in the arrest of a 24-year-old Mequon man.
The district attorney's office will decide whether to charge the man with theft Tuesday.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Plato's Closet employees were seeing a number of Free People brand women's clothing in new condition coming into the store.
Knowing that Macy's is one of few retailers who carry the line, security guards at the Mayfair store started keeping an even closer eye on that department within the Wauwatosa store.
The attention paid off when security staff noticed a man quickly selecting items without regard to size or price at 11:20 a.m. Jan. 10.
The man entered the fitting room with numerous pieces of clothing and walked out with a shopping bag.
He was met outside the store by security, and Free People clothing and Lucky brand jewelry, a total value of $1,731, was in his possession.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Learning Never Ends boasts new programs
- Therapist suggests making massage priority
- Police Report: April 16
- New electrical substation approved for Wauwatosa medical district
- McBride retains Common Council presidency
- Arté Wine and Painting Studio expands
- News & Notes: April 16
- Swiderski awarded Top Brillion Farm Equipment dealer award
- Battle of the Books challenges kids to stretch their limits
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?