Staff at a Brookfield resale shop alerted police to an unusual amount of new, high-priced clothing coming into the store, suspecting the items had been stolen. The tip resulted in the arrest of a 24-year-old Mequon man.
The district attorney's office will decide whether to charge the man with theft Tuesday.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Plato's Closet employees were seeing a number of Free People brand women's clothing in new condition coming into the store.
Knowing that Macy's is one of few retailers who carry the line, security guards at the Mayfair store started keeping an even closer eye on that department within the Wauwatosa store.
The attention paid off when security staff noticed a man quickly selecting items without regard to size or price at 11:20 a.m. Jan. 10.
The man entered the fitting room with numerous pieces of clothing and walked out with a shopping bag.
He was met outside the store by security, and Free People clothing and Lucky brand jewelry, a total value of $1,731, was in his possession.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (1)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 24-30
- In Brief: City seeks volunteers for focus group; seminar can help with advanced care planning
- Wauwatosa students reducing plastic pollution headed to global competition