A grocery store security guard who was trying to stop a shoplifter was threatened by an accomplice armed with a tire iron last week.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
A woman recognized for taking baby formula from area stores showed up at Pick 'n Save, 6950 W. State St., on July 9. She had concealed items but had dropped them before leaving. Security warned her not to return and police weren't called.
The following day, the same woman entered the store at 8:34 a.m. This time she was interested in energy drinks. The guard tried to detain her in the vestibule, having to physically restrain her at one point.
She called out to a man in the parking lot, who pulled his vehicle up to the entrance. He got out of the car and approached with a tire iron raised in an attack position.
The guard gave up the struggle with the shoplifter and she fled in a vehicle.
While trying to track her down based on the vehicle description, police talked to the woman's grandmother, who said her granddaughter is addicted to crack cocaine and is trying to support her habit.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police report 200 percent increase in vehicle thefts
- Changes coming to Wauwatosa Village: The Flower Lady finds new home
- Bryant & Stratton College offers new nursing program at Tosa campus
- KFC in Wauwatosa robbed Wednesday morning, suspect still unknown (1)
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park (1)
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11