A grocery store security guard who was trying to stop a shoplifter was threatened by an accomplice armed with a tire iron last week.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
A woman recognized for taking baby formula from area stores showed up at Pick 'n Save, 6950 W. State St., on July 9. She had concealed items but had dropped them before leaving. Security warned her not to return and police weren't called.
The following day, the same woman entered the store at 8:34 a.m. This time she was interested in energy drinks. The guard tried to detain her in the vestibule, having to physically restrain her at one point.
She called out to a man in the parking lot, who pulled his vehicle up to the entrance. He got out of the car and approached with a tire iron raised in an attack position.
The guard gave up the struggle with the shoplifter and she fled in a vehicle.
While trying to track her down based on the vehicle description, police talked to the woman's grandmother, who said her granddaughter is addicted to crack cocaine and is trying to support her habit.
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 26
- Transit officials: proposed BRT system could attract thousands of new riders
- Wauwatosa Business Notes: May 26
- Wauwatosa officer rescues seven ducklings trapped in storm sewer
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Remember the fallen; voting in schools