Motivated by trips to Germany, the Lowlands Group of Grand Cafes is pumping their culinary muscle again with a new German inspired eatery, Café Bavaria in Wauwatosa.
"On trips to Germany, we'd find very fun, light, loud spaces instead of the dark, quiet places found commonly in the United States," co-owner Mike Eitel said. "We wanted to emulate the fun of a Bavarian biergarten and bier hall with the quality of great food. These places are all about fun."
With communal seating, lots of woodwork, a brick fireplace, and of course plenty of "bier," the setting is perfect for watching a soccer game or enjoying a cold tap with friends.
Eitel explained that "the location houses numerous pieces of repurposed materials in the actual construction, including the barn wood used to make the bar and the old bourbon barrels utilized to make the bar stools."
For those with a growling stomach, fill up on a taste of Bavaria. Appetizers include Wurst sampler board, Strauss veal meatballs, and an original Munich pretzel. For something quick, enjoy schnitzel, a roasted wild boar, or a Black Forest chicken sandwich. Entrees are right from Germany, featuring a variety of schnitzels, rushing waters rainbow trout, and schweinshaxe, a traditional Munich dish of bone-in pork roast served with red cabbage apple bacon slaw, sweet and sour black pepper sauce and "smashed" potatoes.
Along with their delicious dishes, Café Bavaria prides itself on offering a sampling of beer from around the world.
"The location of Café Bavaria is a great spot because the area in which it sits is a nice culmination of different restaurants and cuisines," explained Eitel. "Depending on what you're in the mood for, a short walk can offer the variety of a little European village," from Italy to France to Holland, and now Bavaria.
TASTE OF THE TOWN
NAME: Café Bavaria
ADDRESS: 7700 W. Harwood Ave. Wauwatosa, Wisconsin 53213
FARE: German inspired; burgers, brunch
Monday-Friday: 11am -close
Saturday & Sunday: 8am - close
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 8am- 3pm
PRICE: $10 to $30
HANDICAPPED ACCESS: Yes
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa development for Mayfair Road comes back in modified form
- Wauwatosa's Hoppe Tree Service reuses diseased, dying trees in new Urban Wood Lab
- Wauwatosa Woman's Club tries again for parking expansion
- News and Notes
- Most Wauwatosa schools exceed state expectations on district report card
- 1,001 books before kindergarten is more than just a list
- Biz Buzz: Salon, bakery, and chiropractor opening soon
- Fire Chief pulls support from TosaFest fundraiser after firefighters run ad 'embarrassing' city
- In Our Schools: September 18
- EFW grants inspire enriching classroom curriculum