Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Is there a limit to how many rummage sales one residence can hold?
Issue: A reader wrote, "Throughout the year, a Tosa resident in our area has at least three to four rummage sales a week. It not only looks tacky, but it creates traffic hazards when cars suddenly break short to turn on our street. At what point do rummage sales require a business permit? Can this 'business' be halted?"
Status: Three city officials confirm that no ordinance specifically regulates rummage, garage or yard sales. City Clerk Carla Ledesma, Principal Planner Tamara Szudy and Alderman Peter Donegan said regulation would be difficult to enforce unless there is an issue of noise or other disturbance. In that case, police should be called.
"I'm sure it could be a quality-of-life matter if it is a nuisance," Ledesma said. "It's something they may want to talk to their alderman about. We really haven't seen complaints about this."
Donegan, chairman of the city's Licensing Committee, said it is unlikely the Common Council would formally address the issue.
"As a citizen and as a neighbor, I would take issue with it (multiple sales at one location)," Donegan said. "I think people should use common sense."
Szudy said one course of action would be to report an unauthorized business to the city's property maintenance inspector by calling (414) 479-8907.
Get in touch
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to email@example.com or visit WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: Who's responsible for the corner east of Mo's Irish Pub?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are there plans to improve the traffic signals at 68th and Wells streets?
- Ask Now: Why is pedestrian crossway on Mayfair Road at Menomonee River Parkway in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was Wauwatosa's official trick-or-treat almost a week ahead of Halloween?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why the short green light for northbound drivers on 116th Street at North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Do bicyclists have the same right-of-way as a pedestrian in a crosswalk?
- Ask Now: What's the big green box at 104th Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are U-turns at stoplights still illegal?
- Ask Now: Why are some streets covered with gravel?
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why is Underwood Creek bright green?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to the traffic light at Harwood and Glenview avenues?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?