A drunken driver crashed into a Wauwatosa house in the 9400 block of Wilson Boulevard early Thursday morning.
According to Wauwatosa police:
A homeowner awoke to a loud crash, followed by a smaller crash at 2:34 a.m. He looked out the window to see a vehicle had struck his house at the chimney. The driver was out of his car and talking on his cell phone as heavy rain poured down.
The 28-year-old Wauwatosa man had driven away by the time officers arrived, but they stopped him at 94th and Center streets. His seat was stuck in the fully reclined position. He couldn't recall where he was coming from or going to. His blood-alcohol content was 0.12.
He was arrested for drunken driving, and hit-and-run causing damage to property.
Accident investigators determined the car was speeding when the driver lost control and it struck a tree in the 2400 block of North 95th Street. The impact caused the vehicle's rear end to crumple. Pieces of the vehicle were found in and around the tree and across the lawn.
The vehicle stopped when it struck the brick chimney. Damage to the house was minor.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?