A drunken driver crashed into a Wauwatosa house in the 9400 block of Wilson Boulevard early Thursday morning.
According to Wauwatosa police:
A homeowner awoke to a loud crash, followed by a smaller crash at 2:34 a.m. He looked out the window to see a vehicle had struck his house at the chimney. The driver was out of his car and talking on his cell phone as heavy rain poured down.
The 28-year-old Wauwatosa man had driven away by the time officers arrived, but they stopped him at 94th and Center streets. His seat was stuck in the fully reclined position. He couldn't recall where he was coming from or going to. His blood-alcohol content was 0.12.
He was arrested for drunken driving, and hit-and-run causing damage to property.
Accident investigators determined the car was speeding when the driver lost control and it struck a tree in the 2400 block of North 95th Street. The impact caused the vehicle's rear end to crumple. Pieces of the vehicle were found in and around the tree and across the lawn.
The vehicle stopped when it struck the brick chimney. Damage to the house was minor.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Business Notes: Oct. 15
- Boy Scout brings bocce ball court to Hart Park in Wauwatosa
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Notes: Oct. 15
- Public Forum: Police officers deserve support and thanks
- Wauwatosa fall leaf collection in progress
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Oct. 15
- Wauwatosa's Friends of Center Street Park to hold Fall Fest Oct. 17
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Oct. 15
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Oct. 19