A string of liquor thefts from Wauwatosa grocery stores came to an end Saturday with the arrest of two Milwaukee women.
According to Wauwatosa police:
On Thursday an employee of Outpost Foods returned a shopping cart to neighboring Pick 'n Save, 6950 W. State St. Two women were seen taking 15 bottles of vodka, valued at $450, at 6:51 p.m.
The next day, the same 20-year-old women stuffed four more bottles of vodka into their purses at Metcalf's Market, 6700 W. State St., and left the store.
The duo returned to Metcalf's Market at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. They filled a shopping cart with vodka and covered the bottles with their purses. As they pushed the cart out of the store, security guards chased the women.
The pair ran off leaving the liquor, their purses and their car behind. A search of the car resulted in a dozen bottles of vodka and a retail theft citation issued that morning for shoplifting from Pick 'n Save in Shorewood.
Three hours later, officers spotted a vehicle with expired license plates due to unpaid parking tickets at 93rd Street and North Avenue. It turned out to be the same two women in a different vehicle. They were arrested and the district attorney is expected to issue charges Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- State Reps. Hutton and Kooyenga hold town hall meetings in Wauwatosa
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington County ranks among healthier counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?