A string of liquor thefts from Wauwatosa grocery stores came to an end Saturday with the arrest of two Milwaukee women.
According to Wauwatosa police:
On Thursday an employee of Outpost Foods returned a shopping cart to neighboring Pick 'n Save, 6950 W. State St. Two women were seen taking 15 bottles of vodka, valued at $450, at 6:51 p.m.
The next day, the same 20-year-old women stuffed four more bottles of vodka into their purses at Metcalf's Market, 6700 W. State St., and left the store.
The duo returned to Metcalf's Market at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. They filled a shopping cart with vodka and covered the bottles with their purses. As they pushed the cart out of the store, security guards chased the women.
The pair ran off leaving the liquor, their purses and their car behind. A search of the car resulted in a dozen bottles of vodka and a retail theft citation issued that morning for shoplifting from Pick 'n Save in Shorewood.
Three hours later, officers spotted a vehicle with expired license plates due to unpaid parking tickets at 93rd Street and North Avenue. It turned out to be the same two women in a different vehicle. They were arrested and the district attorney is expected to issue charges Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 23-29
- 10 Days in Tosa offers map to participating restaurants
- Large Wauwatosa oak tree cut down after storm damage
- Wauwatosa police will host OWI Task Force deployment
- Tosa author publishes children's book based on real life encounters with mouse
- Wauwatosa officers return to work after weeks of administrative leave following shooting death (2)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Sept. 3
- Common council OKs addition of right turn lane at Burleigh Street onto Mayfair Road
- Tosa's Safe Routes to School unveils new safety features in high foot traffic areas (1)
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?