The Medical College of Wisconsin will receive $20 million to create a biomedical research consortium to accelerate development of new medical treatments.
The National Institutes of Health announced today it has awarded a grant that will bring together medical expertise from eight Milwaukee-area institutions. The funds will administered by a new academic entity called the Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin.
The consortium will work to advance the new academic discipline of clinical and translational sciences. Professionals in this area act as translators who explain how the complex laboratory findings can be used in the hospital setting. Then they describe patient and clinic problems that need solving to researchers.
Training programs will be developed to improve elementary and high school science programs, and foster students' interest in medical research careers.
Wauwatosa-based Children's Hospital and Health System, Froedtert Hospital and the Blood Center of Wisconsin will participate in the consortium.
Other members are Marquette University, Milwaukee School of Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 23-29
- 10 Days in Tosa offers map to participating restaurants
- Large Wauwatosa oak tree cut down after storm damage
- Wauwatosa police will host OWI Task Force deployment
- Tosa author publishes children's book based on real life encounters with mouse
- Wauwatosa officers return to work after weeks of administrative leave following shooting death (2)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Sept. 3
- Common council OKs addition of right turn lane at Burleigh Street onto Mayfair Road
- Tosa's Safe Routes to School unveils new safety features in high foot traffic areas (1)
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?