A Wauwatosa firefighter received a national award today in recognition of his military and fire service work.
Firefighter/paramedic Robert Reid was given the Veterans of Foreign Wars National Firefighters Award this afternoon at Fire Station 1. He was chosen from more than 4,400 applicants submitted by VFW posts around the nation.
Wauwatosa VFW Post 6498 Commander Robert Jaworski and VFW District 5 Commander Bob George presented the award, and called Reid "a local hero."
Reid has worked for Wauwatosa Fire Department for eight years, most recently as an acting lieutenant and member of the special rescue team.
He recently retired from the Air Force Reserves as a master sergeant with 22 years of service in the 440th Airlift Wing. Over the years, he has contributed in peacetime and war efforts, specifically moving equipment in support of Desert Shield operations, humanitarian missions to South America and deployment to the Allied Forces Air Base in Kyrgyzstan.
- Store owners, police weigh in on string of protests at Mayfair mall
- Our newspaper website is changing
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 28
- Social media story on the storms rolling through Milwaukee area
- Swipe cards are firm's expertise
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: July 21
- Wauwatosa residents reminded to use caution in construction zones (1)
- Wauwatosa mayor shuts down rumors of picketers affecting Village work
- Go Pro Video: Wauwatosa Full Moon Bike Rides promise moon gazing, cold drinks, camaraderie
- Inaugural 'Q and Brew' event raises money for Center Street Park (1)