A Wauwatosa firefighter received a national award today in recognition of his military and fire service work.
Firefighter/paramedic Robert Reid was given the Veterans of Foreign Wars National Firefighters Award this afternoon at Fire Station 1. He was chosen from more than 4,400 applicants submitted by VFW posts around the nation.
Wauwatosa VFW Post 6498 Commander Robert Jaworski and VFW District 5 Commander Bob George presented the award, and called Reid "a local hero."
Reid has worked for Wauwatosa Fire Department for eight years, most recently as an acting lieutenant and member of the special rescue team.
He recently retired from the Air Force Reserves as a master sergeant with 22 years of service in the 440th Airlift Wing. Over the years, he has contributed in peacetime and war efforts, specifically moving equipment in support of Desert Shield operations, humanitarian missions to South America and deployment to the Allied Forces Air Base in Kyrgyzstan.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 8
- In Brief: Nordstrom fundraising; Village streetscaping
- Wauwatosa School Board outlines district development plan (1)
- Proposed Wauwatosa budget would result in lower taxes
- Aurora Health Care plans $35 million improvements at Wauwatosa campus
- In speech at Wauwatosa West, urban farmer Will Allen stresses need for sustainable food systems
- Public invited to Wauwatosa Village streetscape workshop
- Large crowd in Wauwatosa gymnasium discusses coyote attacks, seeks answers (8)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Oct. 12
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Oct. 8