A Wauwatosa firefighter received a national award today in recognition of his military and fire service work.
Firefighter/paramedic Robert Reid was given the Veterans of Foreign Wars National Firefighters Award this afternoon at Fire Station 1. He was chosen from more than 4,400 applicants submitted by VFW posts around the nation.
Wauwatosa VFW Post 6498 Commander Robert Jaworski and VFW District 5 Commander Bob George presented the award, and called Reid "a local hero."
Reid has worked for Wauwatosa Fire Department for eight years, most recently as an acting lieutenant and member of the special rescue team.
He recently retired from the Air Force Reserves as a master sergeant with 22 years of service in the 440th Airlift Wing. Over the years, he has contributed in peacetime and war efforts, specifically moving equipment in support of Desert Shield operations, humanitarian missions to South America and deployment to the Allied Forces Air Base in Kyrgyzstan.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Commission surveying seniors
- Four similar thefts reported at Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Police Report: Jan. 29
- Meijer to open Wauwatosa store in August
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel
- Wauwatosa committee recommends e-cigarette restrictions
- Wauwatosa to offer 70 open enrollment seats; no openings through Chapter 220 or special education
- Wauwatosa creating Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to improve facilities
- Pilgrim Lutheran School celebrates more than its name change since accreditation
- Wauwatosa firefighters union battles run up city's legal bills