A Wauwatosa firefighter received a national award today in recognition of his military and fire service work.
Firefighter/paramedic Robert Reid was given the Veterans of Foreign Wars National Firefighters Award this afternoon at Fire Station 1. He was chosen from more than 4,400 applicants submitted by VFW posts around the nation.
Wauwatosa VFW Post 6498 Commander Robert Jaworski and VFW District 5 Commander Bob George presented the award, and called Reid "a local hero."
Reid has worked for Wauwatosa Fire Department for eight years, most recently as an acting lieutenant and member of the special rescue team.
He recently retired from the Air Force Reserves as a master sergeant with 22 years of service in the 440th Airlift Wing. Over the years, he has contributed in peacetime and war efforts, specifically moving equipment in support of Desert Shield operations, humanitarian missions to South America and deployment to the Allied Forces Air Base in Kyrgyzstan.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Biz Buzz: July 31
- Wauwatosa's Firefly Art Fair a natural landscape of beauty
- Residents invited to help design Wauwatosa skatepark
- Accordionist wows folk dancing club with range of international music
- Business Notes: July 31
- Hawaiian grocery crowd-funds commercial kitchen
- Wauwatosa School District creates new mobile app
- Tosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014