Describing the scene as a replica spider web, construction officials reported theft and vandalism to playground equipment at Hoyt Park, 1800 Swan Blvd., and the nearby pool area that is being remodeled.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Construction equipment belonging to contractor Integrity Environmental Services was taken from the site between 10 p.m. June 28 and 6:13 a.m. June 29. Items taken include 12 rolls of duct tape, two nail guns and two respirator hoods. The estimated value is $245.
The duct tape had been used to tape together swings, slides and climbing equipment, resulting in a suspended-in-motion scene similar to a spider web. A portable toilet also was duct-taped shut. Additionally, the word "spider" was spelled out in duct tape on a nearby walking path.
Access to the grounds was gained by cutting a lock to a fence.
Plans are under way to reopen the pool in May 2011, following vigorous fundraising efforts by Friends of Hoyt Park and Pool. The facility, closed since 2003, is being remodeled with new features.
- Dave Fidlin
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 1
- Store owners, police weigh in on string of protests at Mayfair mall (22)
- Our newspaper website is changing