Describing the scene as a replica spider web, construction officials reported theft and vandalism to playground equipment at Hoyt Park, 1800 Swan Blvd., and the nearby pool area that is being remodeled.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Construction equipment belonging to contractor Integrity Environmental Services was taken from the site between 10 p.m. June 28 and 6:13 a.m. June 29. Items taken include 12 rolls of duct tape, two nail guns and two respirator hoods. The estimated value is $245.
The duct tape had been used to tape together swings, slides and climbing equipment, resulting in a suspended-in-motion scene similar to a spider web. A portable toilet also was duct-taped shut. Additionally, the word "spider" was spelled out in duct tape on a nearby walking path.
Access to the grounds was gained by cutting a lock to a fence.
Plans are under way to reopen the pool in May 2011, following vigorous fundraising efforts by Friends of Hoyt Park and Pool. The facility, closed since 2003, is being remodeled with new features.
- Dave Fidlin
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police report 200 percent increase in vehicle thefts (2)
- Changes coming to Wauwatosa Village: The Flower Lady finds new home
- Bryant & Stratton College offers new nursing program at Tosa campus
- KFC in Wauwatosa robbed Wednesday morning, suspect still unknown (2)
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park (1)
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11