Describing the scene as a replica spider web, construction officials reported theft and vandalism to playground equipment at Hoyt Park, 1800 Swan Blvd., and the nearby pool area that is being remodeled.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Construction equipment belonging to contractor Integrity Environmental Services was taken from the site between 10 p.m. June 28 and 6:13 a.m. June 29. Items taken include 12 rolls of duct tape, two nail guns and two respirator hoods. The estimated value is $245.
The duct tape had been used to tape together swings, slides and climbing equipment, resulting in a suspended-in-motion scene similar to a spider web. A portable toilet also was duct-taped shut. Additionally, the word "spider" was spelled out in duct tape on a nearby walking path.
Access to the grounds was gained by cutting a lock to a fence.
Plans are under way to reopen the pool in May 2011, following vigorous fundraising efforts by Friends of Hoyt Park and Pool. The facility, closed since 2003, is being remodeled with new features.
- Dave Fidlin
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?