Pick 'n Save employees who had a skirmish with a suspected shoplifter Sunday told police the woman bit them and then claimed she was HIV-positive.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A 38-year-old homeless woman walked into the Pick 'n Save on 69th and State streets with one purse over each shoulder, and quickly filled them with about a dozen steaks. As a manager approached the woman, she made a run for the front doors.
Store personnel tackled the woman in the lot. She grabbed one employee's chin, put her finger in his mouth and tried to break his jaw. When he broke free, she bit the employees.
She yelled, "I'm HIV positive." The employees did not know if the claim was truthful or a trick to try get them to let her go. None of the bites broke skin.
She was arrested for retail theft, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct and taken to Milwaukee County Jail.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting
- Thai-namite plans new location in Wauwatosa's former City Market building
- Business Notes: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa police say woman was dragged across parking lot in purse robbery (2)
- Thirsty Duck brings duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa (1)
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 2
- Gov. Scott Walker attends Wauwatosa bike race weeks before expected presidential run announcement (5)
- Kate Spade New York store to open at Mayfair Mall
- Wauwatosa Meetings: July 2