A homeless man has been accused of taking items valued at more than $10,000 while he was a house guest at a Wauwatosa home.
Aaron Federman, 26, was charged Thursday with felony theft. He is expected to make his initial court appearance today.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Federman and his girlfriend went out to an area bar with a man residing in the 8500 block of Stickney Avenue on May 19. Later they went back to the Wauwatosa home to hang out.
The girlfriend's father picked her up, but Federman did not have a ride to the Milwaukee motel where he had been staying.
The resident agreed to let Federman spend the night on his couch and gave him a ride back to Milwaukee the next morning.
It wasn't until his mother came home from a trip 10 days later that her son was made aware that jewelry, cash and a designer purse were missing from her bedroom.
Federman was arrested during a visit with his parole agent June 2. He said he had stashed the items in his suitcase and sold them off to pay for drugs and his hotel bill.
The jewelry was recovered from pawn shops in Wauwatosa, Brookfield and Greenfield.
The girlfriend, a 26-year-old Wauwatosa woman, was arrested for possession of stolen property because she helped Federman pawn the jewelry. However, the district attorney declined to press charges. She said they were addicted to cocaine and heroin, and she was seeking treatment and attending college to turn her life around.
Federman has been arrested a dozen times in the past 10 years and has been convicted for felony drug activity three times.
He was put on 18 months probation for the latest conviction within a week of the theft.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern