A Wauwatosa man was picked up for drunken driving after his station wagon got stuck on the railroad tracks in the Village on Saturday night.
This morning, Scott James Reed, 46, was charged with his fourth drunken driving offense, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of a $2,000 fine and up to a year in prison if he's convicted. He sits in Milwaukee County Jail awaiting his bail hearing scheduled for Friday.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Reed's vehicle was facing eastbound on the tracks about 30 feet from the intersection at 70th and State streets at 9:46 p.m. As he stood next to the station wagon, officers noticed Reed smelled of alcohol and had trouble standing up.
He said he made a wrong turn and drove down the tracks. Transmission problems made it impossible for him to move the vehicle.
However, officers questioned whether he was intoxicated. At that point he got belligerent. He was arrested for on an outstanding warrant with Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office for driving after his license had been revoked.
He was taken to a local hospital, where he had to be physically restrained to give a blood sample. The results of that test were not available.
The incident disrupted railroad operations as Canadian Pacific stopped all traffic in the area while the tracks were blocked by the vehicle.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)