A Wauwatosa man was picked up for drunken driving after his station wagon got stuck on the railroad tracks in the Village on Saturday night.
This morning, Scott James Reed, 46, was charged with his fourth drunken driving offense, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of a $2,000 fine and up to a year in prison if he's convicted. He sits in Milwaukee County Jail awaiting his bail hearing scheduled for Friday.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Reed's vehicle was facing eastbound on the tracks about 30 feet from the intersection at 70th and State streets at 9:46 p.m. As he stood next to the station wagon, officers noticed Reed smelled of alcohol and had trouble standing up.
He said he made a wrong turn and drove down the tracks. Transmission problems made it impossible for him to move the vehicle.
However, officers questioned whether he was intoxicated. At that point he got belligerent. He was arrested for on an outstanding warrant with Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office for driving after his license had been revoked.
He was taken to a local hospital, where he had to be physically restrained to give a blood sample. The results of that test were not available.
The incident disrupted railroad operations as Canadian Pacific stopped all traffic in the area while the tracks were blocked by the vehicle.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- Milwaukee man charged for causing fatal rollover crash in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (4)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography