A Wauwatosa woman who drinks through a feeding tube was arrested for drunken driving for the third time Friday morning.
According to police:
A drunken driving task force officer noticed a car driving on the wrong side of the street at 111th Street and Blue Mound Road at 3:02 a.m. The driver pulled into the lot of Breeze Thru Wine & Spirits as if she expected it to be open. But when she saw it was closed, she drove her car over a median and back onto the road.
Officers pulled over the 47-year-old woman, who was dressed in a bathrobe and pajama pants. She could not speak because she lost her voice box to cancer and had left the device the helps her communicate at home.
Through lip reading and writing on a notepad, officers learned she had been drinking wine through a feeding tube to her stomach and she was on very strong prescription narcotics for pain.
Doctors had told her not to drive while on the medications and she was not supposed to drink, either.
Her blood was drawn at Froedtert Hospital, but results were not immediately available.
The case is being reviewed by the district attorney.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fattoni's on North Avenue shuts down
- Matt Stippich will bring leadership skills, passion to council post
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Common Council reconsiders smartphone stipend
- Audit exposes weaknesses in school district's special ed program