A Wauwatosa woman who drinks through a feeding tube was arrested for drunken driving for the third time Friday morning.
According to police:
A drunken driving task force officer noticed a car driving on the wrong side of the street at 111th Street and Blue Mound Road at 3:02 a.m. The driver pulled into the lot of Breeze Thru Wine & Spirits as if she expected it to be open. But when she saw it was closed, she drove her car over a median and back onto the road.
Officers pulled over the 47-year-old woman, who was dressed in a bathrobe and pajama pants. She could not speak because she lost her voice box to cancer and had left the device the helps her communicate at home.
Through lip reading and writing on a notepad, officers learned she had been drinking wine through a feeding tube to her stomach and she was on very strong prescription narcotics for pain.
Doctors had told her not to drive while on the medications and she was not supposed to drink, either.
Her blood was drawn at Froedtert Hospital, but results were not immediately available.
The case is being reviewed by the district attorney.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects
- Ronald McDonald House in Wauwatosa to double number of families it serves
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options