A Wauwatosa woman who drinks through a feeding tube was arrested for drunken driving for the third time Friday morning.
According to police:
A drunken driving task force officer noticed a car driving on the wrong side of the street at 111th Street and Blue Mound Road at 3:02 a.m. The driver pulled into the lot of Breeze Thru Wine & Spirits as if she expected it to be open. But when she saw it was closed, she drove her car over a median and back onto the road.
Officers pulled over the 47-year-old woman, who was dressed in a bathrobe and pajama pants. She could not speak because she lost her voice box to cancer and had left the device the helps her communicate at home.
Through lip reading and writing on a notepad, officers learned she had been drinking wine through a feeding tube to her stomach and she was on very strong prescription narcotics for pain.
Doctors had told her not to drive while on the medications and she was not supposed to drink, either.
Her blood was drawn at Froedtert Hospital, but results were not immediately available.
The case is being reviewed by the district attorney.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?