The Wauwatosa Plan Commission is recommending that Tobacco Outlet Plus be denied the opportunity to sell liquor, a 180-degree turn from how it handled a similar request from a wine shop going in right across the street.
On a 4-2 vote Monday, the panel said it opposes adding liquor to the shelves at Tobacco Outlet Plus, 11712 W. North Ave., which already sells cigarettes and beer.
"I've never understood what redeeming value Tobacco Outlet has in this neighborhood," Commissioner John Albert said.
He moved to recommend against the request on the basis that it could negatively impact the neighborhood and home values.
Last month the commission also delivered a 4-2 vote, that time in favor of Amandip Singh's request to open a wine, beer and liquor shop across the street from Tobacco Outlet Plus. The Common Council gave final approval to Singh on June 1 for the use, and the liquor license request is expected to come to the council next week for action.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa development for Mayfair Road comes back in modified form
- Wauwatosa's Hoppe Tree Service reuses diseased, dying trees in new Urban Wood Lab
- Wauwatosa Woman's Club tries again for parking expansion
- News and Notes
- Most Wauwatosa schools exceed state expectations on district report card
- 1,001 books before kindergarten is more than just a list
- Biz Buzz: Salon, bakery, and chiropractor opening soon
- Fire Chief pulls support from TosaFest fundraiser after firefighters run ad 'embarrassing' city
- In Our Schools: September 18
- EFW grants inspire enriching classroom curriculum