The Wauwatosa Plan Commission is recommending that Tobacco Outlet Plus be denied the opportunity to sell liquor, a 180-degree turn from how it handled a similar request from a wine shop going in right across the street.
On a 4-2 vote Monday, the panel said it opposes adding liquor to the shelves at Tobacco Outlet Plus, 11712 W. North Ave., which already sells cigarettes and beer.
"I've never understood what redeeming value Tobacco Outlet has in this neighborhood," Commissioner John Albert said.
He moved to recommend against the request on the basis that it could negatively impact the neighborhood and home values.
Last month the commission also delivered a 4-2 vote, that time in favor of Amandip Singh's request to open a wine, beer and liquor shop across the street from Tobacco Outlet Plus. The Common Council gave final approval to Singh on June 1 for the use, and the liquor license request is expected to come to the council next week for action.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Bob Simi, new director at Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, sees opportunities for development
- How 205 immigrants became citizens at the State Fair Park last week
- Newly designed NICU at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin creates homelike environment
- Wauwatosa breaks out its holiday cheer
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ethnic foods unite Eisenhower fifth-graders for pre-Thanksgiving feast
- Found in possession of stolen jewelry, Wauwatosa's Gold Emporium could lose license
- Ice skating to return to Center Street Park on Wauwatosa border after decades away
- U.S. Naval Academy midshipman educates young minds at Our Redeemer Lutheran School