A retail theft call led Wauwatosa police to arrest a drunken driver in possession of stolen meat from area Pick 'n Save stores.
According to police:
A man tried to run out of the grocery store on Mayfair Road with four rib eye steaks. Store staff were able to get the meat back and the man ran across the railroad tracks to the city's public works yard.
Employees had noticed the man gesturing to a vehicle that was creeping along behind him. Officers pulled over the driver, a 23-year-old Wauwatosa woman, and saw numerous packages of meat stolen from West Allis and Wauwatosa stores in the back seat.
She was slurring her words and said she had smoked crack cocaine earlier in the day. A crack pipe was found in the vehicle. She had a blood-alcohol content of 0.09, above the 0.08 legal limit for drivers.
When police called her parents to let them know she had been arrested, they said the Oak Creek Police Department had called looking for her because her vehicle was involved in a retail theft at a Pick 'n Save in that city.
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: June 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: June 30
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (3)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26