A retail theft call led Wauwatosa police to arrest a drunken driver in possession of stolen meat from area Pick 'n Save stores.
According to police:
A man tried to run out of the grocery store on Mayfair Road with four rib eye steaks. Store staff were able to get the meat back and the man ran across the railroad tracks to the city's public works yard.
Employees had noticed the man gesturing to a vehicle that was creeping along behind him. Officers pulled over the driver, a 23-year-old Wauwatosa woman, and saw numerous packages of meat stolen from West Allis and Wauwatosa stores in the back seat.
She was slurring her words and said she had smoked crack cocaine earlier in the day. A crack pipe was found in the vehicle. She had a blood-alcohol content of 0.09, above the 0.08 legal limit for drivers.
When police called her parents to let them know she had been arrested, they said the Oak Creek Police Department had called looking for her because her vehicle was involved in a retail theft at a Pick 'n Save in that city.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Sept. 7
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 3
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (5)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa