A retail theft call led Wauwatosa police to arrest a drunken driver in possession of stolen meat from area Pick 'n Save stores.
According to police:
A man tried to run out of the grocery store on Mayfair Road with four rib eye steaks. Store staff were able to get the meat back and the man ran across the railroad tracks to the city's public works yard.
Employees had noticed the man gesturing to a vehicle that was creeping along behind him. Officers pulled over the driver, a 23-year-old Wauwatosa woman, and saw numerous packages of meat stolen from West Allis and Wauwatosa stores in the back seat.
She was slurring her words and said she had smoked crack cocaine earlier in the day. A crack pipe was found in the vehicle. She had a blood-alcohol content of 0.09, above the 0.08 legal limit for drivers.
When police called her parents to let them know she had been arrested, they said the Oak Creek Police Department had called looking for her because her vehicle was involved in a retail theft at a Pick 'n Save in that city.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting
- Thai-namite plans new location in Wauwatosa's former City Market building
- Business Notes: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa police say woman was dragged across parking lot in purse robbery (2)
- Thirsty Duck brings duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa (1)
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 2
- Gov. Scott Walker attends Wauwatosa bike race weeks before expected presidential run announcement (5)
- Kate Spade New York store to open at Mayfair Mall
- Wauwatosa Meetings: July 2