A Wauwatosa man was arrested after he tried to score prescription narcotics by dropping a threatening letter in the drive-through canister of a Walgreens store.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The pharmacist working the late shift at Walgreens, 2275 N. Mayfair Road, heard a canister drop in the pharmacy but thought it odd because the alarm that alerts staff when a vehicle is in the drive-through did not sound.
He found a typed letter demanding Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Morphine and Xanax in their manufacturers' bottles be put in the canister for pickup.
The letter said the author knew about the pharmacist's personal life and would harm his family if he failed to comply or called police.
Soon afterward, the pharmacy started receiving hang-up calls, followed by a call from a man who said he didn't see the package waiting for him.
Police found the 21-year-old Wauwatosa resident riding his bicycle nearby. He had been arrested on two prior occasions for driving under the influence of controlled substances and was on probation for attempting to obtain prescription medication by fraud.
His cell phone showed numerous calls to Walgreens, so he was arrested for trying to obtain prescription medication by fraud, repeated harassing phone calls and violating his probation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Speakeasy to replace One Way Cafe in Wauwatosa Village
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon looks to bring duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa
- No serious injuries reported in rollover crash on Highway 45 at Watertown Plank
- Longtime Wauwatosa resident receives Distinguished Citizen Award
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: April 2
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Arpil 2
- Wauwatosa's Barbara Mohr brings cartoon characters to life on Easter eggs
- State Reps. Hutton and Kooyenga hold town hall meetings in Wauwatosa