A Wauwatosa man was arrested after he tried to score prescription narcotics by dropping a threatening letter in the drive-through canister of a Walgreens store.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The pharmacist working the late shift at Walgreens, 2275 N. Mayfair Road, heard a canister drop in the pharmacy but thought it odd because the alarm that alerts staff when a vehicle is in the drive-through did not sound.
He found a typed letter demanding Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Morphine and Xanax in their manufacturers' bottles be put in the canister for pickup.
The letter said the author knew about the pharmacist's personal life and would harm his family if he failed to comply or called police.
Soon afterward, the pharmacy started receiving hang-up calls, followed by a call from a man who said he didn't see the package waiting for him.
Police found the 21-year-old Wauwatosa resident riding his bicycle nearby. He had been arrested on two prior occasions for driving under the influence of controlled substances and was on probation for attempting to obtain prescription medication by fraud.
His cell phone showed numerous calls to Walgreens, so he was arrested for trying to obtain prescription medication by fraud, repeated harassing phone calls and violating his probation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Two businesses in same building burglarized
- Wauwatosa Montessori students practice mind-body awareness with help from Growing Minds program
- Exercising eminent domain, Wauwatosa seeks warehouse property for school drop-off site
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Jan. 29
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Jan. 29
- Wauwatosa offers 'Citizen's Academy' course
- Wauwatosa schools consider largest investment yet in facilities; discuss replacing buildings
- State Street Station in Wauwatosa Village gets preliminary approval
- DOT considering Mayfair Road expansion, acquisitions through Wauwatosa