Boy Scout Jesse Stansell will create a place for the residents of Hart Park Square to relax and take in nature as his Eagle Scout project.
A member of the Wauwatosa East High School track team, he spends many hours practicing and competing at the new athletic facilities. But he doesn't want to see Hart Park lose its natural character.
So he decided to create a "peaceful setting overlooking the Menomonee River where people can get together with friends and enjoy it's natural beauty," said Karen Eidem, marketing specialist for Laureate Group, which owns Hart Park Square retirement community across the street.
Called "The Gathering Place," the site on the south side of River Parkway will feature three benches, a picnic table and 18 red twig dogwood shrubs placed in a horseshoe shape facing river. While open to the public, Eidem expects it will be a popular place with Hart Park Square residents.
Jesse raised $1,300 to pay for the project and received donations from Hart Park Square and the Friends of Hart Park.
Volunteers from his troop will begin planting flowers on May 22, and furnishings will be installed as soon as they are delivered, Eidem said.
Local scouts will water the shrubs for the first year.
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: May 26
- Video: Reporter takes us along the 2016 Run Tosa Run
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Tips for finding the perfect bicycle
- Five biking routes to try in Wauwatosa and beyond this summer
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 19
- Campus News: May 19