Boy Scout Jesse Stansell will create a place for the residents of Hart Park Square to relax and take in nature as his Eagle Scout project.
A member of the Wauwatosa East High School track team, he spends many hours practicing and competing at the new athletic facilities. But he doesn't want to see Hart Park lose its natural character.
So he decided to create a "peaceful setting overlooking the Menomonee River where people can get together with friends and enjoy it's natural beauty," said Karen Eidem, marketing specialist for Laureate Group, which owns Hart Park Square retirement community across the street.
Called "The Gathering Place," the site on the south side of River Parkway will feature three benches, a picnic table and 18 red twig dogwood shrubs placed in a horseshoe shape facing river. While open to the public, Eidem expects it will be a popular place with Hart Park Square residents.
Jesse raised $1,300 to pay for the project and received donations from Hart Park Square and the Friends of Hart Park.
Volunteers from his troop will begin planting flowers on May 22, and furnishings will be installed as soon as they are delivered, Eidem said.
Local scouts will water the shrubs for the first year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting