A 28-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for drunken driving, third offense, after he passed out behind the wheel and officers had to break a window to wake him up and stop the vehicle.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Officers found a vehicle facing the wrong direction and with wheels on the median at Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street at 2:49 a.m. May 5.
The driver was asleep in the driver's seat with the engine running, car in drive, headlights on and doors locked. Officers put squad cars in front and behind the vehicle, then sounded the air horn and pounded on the window to wake the driver. But they got no response.
They resorted to breaking the front passenger-side window with a baton. He only woke up after they were able to unlock and open the driver's door.
They took him to have his blood-alcohol content tested at a local hospital, where he yelled profanities and physically resisted arrest. Later, at the Milwaukee County Jail, he didn't recall what had transpired that evening.
He also was arrested on two counts of bail jumping because he was in violation of his probation from the last drunken driving conviction.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Common Council reconsiders smartphone stipend
- Audit exposes weaknesses in school district's special ed program
- City's private/public agency dies quietly
- City Administrator Archambo gets 3-year deal that will take him to $150,000