A driver fleeing from police in a stolen Chevy Tahoe crashed into a house in the 7500 block of Stephenson Street last week.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
An officer began following the sport utility vehicle after he saw it speeding in the 7700 block of West Blue Mound Road at 12:32 p.m. Wednesday. Another driver pulled up to the squad car because he, too, was following the sport utility vehicle. It had been stolen from his family business, Latino Auto Sales, in Milwaukee on April 28.
The officer activated his lights and siren, but the Tahoe driver maneuvered around vehicles stopped for a light and headed into oncoming traffic. Then he accelerated onto 76th Street and set off a 42-second chase that ended when he crashed into the home.
At that point, the driver got out of the car and ran off. A Milwaukee police dog was brought in to search for the man, but he was not found.
The car dealer said he had noticed a car matching the one stolen from his lot parked a few blocks from his National Avenue business. He confronted a man walking to the vehicle, but he simply got in and drove off. The car owner started to follow him, when the car stopped abruptly and one man exited while a new driver got in and took off again.
The second driver tried to lose the car's owner by weaving on and off interstate exits until they were seen by the Wauwatosa officer.
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (1)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour (1)
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (11)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes