A driver fleeing from police in a stolen Chevy Tahoe crashed into a house in the 7500 block of Stephenson Street last week.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
An officer began following the sport utility vehicle after he saw it speeding in the 7700 block of West Blue Mound Road at 12:32 p.m. Wednesday. Another driver pulled up to the squad car because he, too, was following the sport utility vehicle. It had been stolen from his family business, Latino Auto Sales, in Milwaukee on April 28.
The officer activated his lights and siren, but the Tahoe driver maneuvered around vehicles stopped for a light and headed into oncoming traffic. Then he accelerated onto 76th Street and set off a 42-second chase that ended when he crashed into the home.
At that point, the driver got out of the car and ran off. A Milwaukee police dog was brought in to search for the man, but he was not found.
The car dealer said he had noticed a car matching the one stolen from his lot parked a few blocks from his National Avenue business. He confronted a man walking to the vehicle, but he simply got in and drove off. The car owner started to follow him, when the car stopped abruptly and one man exited while a new driver got in and took off again.
The second driver tried to lose the car's owner by weaving on and off interstate exits until they were seen by the Wauwatosa officer.
- Wauwatosa's 22nd Secret Garden Tour scheduled for July 9
- Tosa police investigating armed robbery at North Shore Bank Wednesday
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 19 - 25
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Get set for Dozer Day in the Village, July 9
- Wauwatosa Meetings: June 30
- Wauwatosa Village businesses remain upbeat amid ongoing reconstruction
- East Tosa Gran Prix draws racers from across the continent
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: June 30
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 30