North Avenue could be saying "aloha" to a store that would specialize in Hawaiian and Asian foods.
David Lau and Guy Roeseler previously lived in the country's 50th state and want to bring a sampling of that culture to Wauwatosa. They have requested a special-use permit to operate a food store and deli in the storefront at 7215 W. North Ave.
The Plan Commission on Monday voted unanimously to support the permit, which is required any time food sales are involved. The business owners would sell prepackaged goods and would have some fresh products brought in. There would be no cooking in the space, at least not to start, Roeseler said.
Ono Kine Grindz is the name planned for the store, which would carry not only food and beverages and cooking ingredients and tools, but also a collection of surf and hula music, clothing and gift items.
Roeseler will also like to see people who may have been intimidated by shopping an ethnic grocery store in the past to feel welcome in his business.
"The established Asian markets here are not geared toward those of us not literate in Vietnamese or Chinese," he said, adding that the owners will work hard to educate local residents on the products they carry.
But before the duo can stock the fruit juices and macadamia nut cookies, they need approval from the Community Development Committee on May 25 and the Common Council the following week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Second design workshop for Tosa skate park is Thursday
- Wauwatosa Catholic maintains rigor since IB authorization
- Former Wauwatosa priest pleads not guilty to embezzlement charges
- Juniper 61 in Wauwatosa serves comfort food with a global reach
- Wauwatosa students earn same average ACT score as last year
- Business Notes: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa students hit same average ACT score as last year
- Wauwatosa health department addresses residents' 'excessive' drinking
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest; Aug. 21
- News and Notes: Aug. 21, 2014 issue