North Avenue could be saying "aloha" to a store that would specialize in Hawaiian and Asian foods.
David Lau and Guy Roeseler previously lived in the country's 50th state and want to bring a sampling of that culture to Wauwatosa. They have requested a special-use permit to operate a food store and deli in the storefront at 7215 W. North Ave.
The Plan Commission on Monday voted unanimously to support the permit, which is required any time food sales are involved. The business owners would sell prepackaged goods and would have some fresh products brought in. There would be no cooking in the space, at least not to start, Roeseler said.
Ono Kine Grindz is the name planned for the store, which would carry not only food and beverages and cooking ingredients and tools, but also a collection of surf and hula music, clothing and gift items.
Roeseler will also like to see people who may have been intimidated by shopping an ethnic grocery store in the past to feel welcome in his business.
"The established Asian markets here are not geared toward those of us not literate in Vietnamese or Chinese," he said, adding that the owners will work hard to educate local residents on the products they carry.
But before the duo can stock the fruit juices and macadamia nut cookies, they need approval from the Community Development Committee on May 25 and the Common Council the following week.
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Truck carrying appliances collides with railroad bridge in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: The Flower Lady stays true to the Village, and finds room to grow
- Tosa fire chief named to Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association
- Wauwatosa's 22nd Secret Garden Tour scheduled for July 9
- Tosa police investigating armed robbery at North Shore Bank Wednesday
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 19 - 25
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Get set for Dozer Day in the Village, July 9
- Wauwatosa Meetings: June 30