A man who resisted arrest had to be stunned four times before he could be arrested by Wauwatosa police Sunday morning.
According to police:
The 29-year-old Wauwatosa man drove into the wrong lane to make a turn, so he was pulled over in the 7100 block of West Blue Mound Road on suspicion of drunken driving at 2:01 a.m.
As he saw the squad car approach, he accelerated down St. Paul Avenue, a dead-end street, and pulled into a driveway. As he ran for the front door, the officer yelled for him to stop. As the man started to enter the house, the officer used his electronic control device to stop him in his tracks.
The first five-second stun wasn't strong enough, because the man tried to get up twice. So the officer sent another quick jolt. But as backup officers arrived, the man tried to crawl into the house, so the device was used a third time. As officers tried to handcuff the man, he continued to struggle and resist, cutting one of the officers' hands, so a fourth shock was sent into his body.
Finally, the officers were able to get him into the squad car and they took him to Froedtert Hospital to check the abrasions on his face from contact with the concrete and to have his blood drawn.
He was arrested for drunken driving, third offense, driving after his license had been revoked, failing to yield to an emergency vehicle and resisting arrest.
He also violated the absolute sobriety condition of having his occupational driver's license. He is sitting in Milwaukee County Jail and charges are expected to be issued as soon as blood test results are ready.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?