A 39-year-old Port Washington man who didn't want to face going to jail for a hit-and-run accident got drunk and contemplated suicide in Wauwatosa last week.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The man was homeless and sleeping in his car, so a friend let him stay at his Wauwatosa home on May 3. He was distraught because he had struck a vehicle and fled, and the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office was looking for him.
Rather than face the legal consequences, he drank heavily and made comments about committing suicide. He told his friends that he planned to pretend to have a gun to get police to shoot him so he could end his life.
The friend reported the man to police and they stopped him as he pulled out of a driveway in the 2500 block of Wauwatosa Avenue at 5:10 p.m. He quickly jumped out of the car with his hands up. He was arrested for drunken driving, second offense, and driving with suspended plates. He was also on probation for resisting arrest.
Officers noticed the broken headlights, dents and paint transfer on his vehicle. But he insisted he had driven into a ditch.
Soon they learned that his vehicle had been involved in a hit-and-run a week prior.
He was taken for a blood test at a Wauwatosa hospital to determine his level of intoxication. He got agitated and yelled profanities in the emergency room.
Later he was evaluated at a mental health center and taken to Milwaukee County Jail.
He is expected to appear in court June 1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New UWM chancellor is high on Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Mary Linsmeier School closes in Wauwatosa after 50 years
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Dec. 18
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 18
- Older adults mutually gain from tutoring Milwaukee Public School students
- Wauwatosa Public Library kicks off new writing program
- Wauwatosa's Kathy's House sees rising demand for hospital hospitality
- Wauwatosa's State Street Station project sent back to committee
- In Our Schools: Dec. 18, 2014
- Wauwatosa West football field considered for $1.5 million artificial turf upgrade