A woman wanted for violating probation pretended to be her sister and when the officer wasn't buying her story, she led him on two high-speed pursuits through Wauwatosa last week.
Now a felony warrant for her arrest has been issued by a Milwaukee County judge for eluding and fleeing an officer.
According to Wauwatosa police:
An officer noticed a driver's license plate matched that of a 38-year-old Milwaukee woman wanted for violating her probation issued after she was convicted of burglary and forgery. He pulled over her vehicle at 5:11 a.m. Wednesday
Nicole Bether pretended to be her sister, but she had a difficult time providing the correct phone number and address and explaining why she was out so early in the morning. When the officer suggested she was lying, Bether put her car into gear and sped off, driving through red lights and reaching speeds of 85 mph before the officer lost sight of her vehicle at Glenview Avenue.
While checking out the Village, the officer saw Bether's car driving without its headlights on. When she saw the squad car, she accelerated and maneuvered around the police vehicle setting off another chase that covered 1.5 miles and reached 90 mph before she was able to elude the officer a second time.
This was not the first time Bether eluded police. On April 21, she ran a red light and was pulled over in Shorewood. She gave a false name and then took off when the officer allowed her to use a restroom.
Talking to her sister, officers learned Bether had recently been released from a drug treatment facility and was supposed to be in outpatient care for cocaine addiction. Instead, she was a no-show at treatment and for appointments with her probation agent.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa high schoolers will each receive personal Chromebook next year, according to plan
- Menomonee River Parkway temporarily closed for excavation
- Carhartt coming to Wauwatosa's Mayfair Collection
- Wauwatosa News IQ: March 5
- Chinese Lunar New Year celebration at Mayfair Sunday
- Police to warn against impaired driving on St. Patrick's Day
- Fundraiser covers funeral expenses for victim of Wauwatosa house fire
- News & Notes: March 5, 2015
- Wauwatosa Common Council approves rezoning for Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure
- In Our Schools: March 5