A woman wanted for violating probation pretended to be her sister and when the officer wasn't buying her story, she led him on two high-speed pursuits through Wauwatosa last week.
Now a felony warrant for her arrest has been issued by a Milwaukee County judge for eluding and fleeing an officer.
According to Wauwatosa police:
An officer noticed a driver's license plate matched that of a 38-year-old Milwaukee woman wanted for violating her probation issued after she was convicted of burglary and forgery. He pulled over her vehicle at 5:11 a.m. Wednesday
Nicole Bether pretended to be her sister, but she had a difficult time providing the correct phone number and address and explaining why she was out so early in the morning. When the officer suggested she was lying, Bether put her car into gear and sped off, driving through red lights and reaching speeds of 85 mph before the officer lost sight of her vehicle at Glenview Avenue.
While checking out the Village, the officer saw Bether's car driving without its headlights on. When she saw the squad car, she accelerated and maneuvered around the police vehicle setting off another chase that covered 1.5 miles and reached 90 mph before she was able to elude the officer a second time.
This was not the first time Bether eluded police. On April 21, she ran a red light and was pulled over in Shorewood. She gave a false name and then took off when the officer allowed her to use a restroom.
Talking to her sister, officers learned Bether had recently been released from a drug treatment facility and was supposed to be in outpatient care for cocaine addiction. Instead, she was a no-show at treatment and for appointments with her probation agent.
- Local cancer survivors rally together for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk
- Shoulder mount of beloved deer 'Bow Tie' to return to Milwaukee Co. Parks
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (2)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5