People who live near or own property on North Avenue will have an opportunity May 17 to talk about what kinds of improvements they would like to see to Wauwatosa's easternmost corridor between 60th and 76th streets.
A kickoff meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Civic Center Auditorium in City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave., to mark the start of the North Avenue Corridor Planning Study, a process that will help shape the future of the East Towne district.
The city allocated $40,000 of Community Development Block Grant funds to hire a planning consultant who will look at ways to retain and attract new businesses, improve streetscape and parking, and enhance the quality of life in the entire district.
Participants will meet planners and learn about their approach to the project, and will get details on how to get involved and the timeline for completion.
"We're really hoping it's going to generate enthusiasm and pull people together," said Nancy Welch, community development director.
The city is collaborating on the project with the North Avenue Neighborhood Alliance, a group of residents and business owners interested in the vitality of the corridor.
Many people have "pet projects" they envision for the area. The kickoff meeting is a time to voice those suggestions to the planners, Welch said.
The North Avenue district was recognized as an area needing a strategic approach for the future as part of the city's Comprehensive Master Plan, which was completed in December 2008., Welch said. The state required all municipalities to complete the document to ensure smart growth and continued improvements.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Jan Kelly's Meritage is Milwaukee born
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 9
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: July 9
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 28-July 4
- Wauwatosa Meetings: July 9
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of July 13
- Meijer announces opening date in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa to participate in "Click It or Ticket" enforcement
- Tosa East student completes leadership program at Yale University