People who live near or own property on North Avenue will have an opportunity May 17 to talk about what kinds of improvements they would like to see to Wauwatosa's easternmost corridor between 60th and 76th streets.
A kickoff meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Civic Center Auditorium in City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave., to mark the start of the North Avenue Corridor Planning Study, a process that will help shape the future of the East Towne district.
The city allocated $40,000 of Community Development Block Grant funds to hire a planning consultant who will look at ways to retain and attract new businesses, improve streetscape and parking, and enhance the quality of life in the entire district.
Participants will meet planners and learn about their approach to the project, and will get details on how to get involved and the timeline for completion.
"We're really hoping it's going to generate enthusiasm and pull people together," said Nancy Welch, community development director.
The city is collaborating on the project with the North Avenue Neighborhood Alliance, a group of residents and business owners interested in the vitality of the corridor.
Many people have "pet projects" they envision for the area. The kickoff meeting is a time to voice those suggestions to the planners, Welch said.
The North Avenue district was recognized as an area needing a strategic approach for the future as part of the city's Comprehensive Master Plan, which was completed in December 2008., Welch said. The state required all municipalities to complete the document to ensure smart growth and continued improvements.
- Tosa police investigating armed robbery at North Shore Bank Wednesday
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 19 - 25
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Get set for Dozer Day in the Village, July 9
- Wauwatosa Meetings: June 30
- Wauwatosa Village businesses remain upbeat amid ongoing reconstruction
- East Tosa Gran Prix draws racers from across the continent
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: June 30
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 30
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of July 4