A man was arrested for drunken driving after he got into an accident and went to the Fire Department for help Saturday evening.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Officers were notified that a van had crashed into a fence at Pinelawn Cemetery, 4150 N. Mayfair Road, at 5:52 p.m. Seven sections of the fence were taken out, and a light pole was damaged.
The driver was missing, but they soon tracked him down at the fire station across the street. The 54-year-old Milwaukee man was slurring his words and smelled of alcohol. His blood-alcohol content was 0.22.
He said his van had flat tires but he hadn't had time to get them fixed. As he drove, he found steering became very difficult. He lost control, drove onto the grass and struck the fence.
This was his second drunken driving arrest, and he had two Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office warrants for driving with a revoked license.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Common Council reconsiders smartphone stipend
- Audit exposes weaknesses in school district's special ed program
- City's private/public agency dies quietly
- City Administrator Archambo gets 3-year deal that will take him to $150,000