A fire in a two-family home in the 600 block of North 66th Street caused about $115,000 in damage Monday night, officials said.
One of the occupants suffered from minor smoke inhalation, but there were no other injuries.
When firefighters arrived at about 10 p.m., they saw heavy smoke in the neighborhood and one person outside the home who said there was a fire in the basement, Assistant Fire Chief Mike Anton said.
Firefighters conducted a search of the two-story building because it was unknown if anyone was still inside. However, everyone had gotten out of the building, and the fire was contained to the basement and first-floor kitchen. The fire caused heavy smoke damage throughout the house.
The state fire marshal is investigating the cause of the blaze.
Meanwhile, electrical issues are the suspected source of a house fire that broke out in the 2100 block of Crestview Court on Saturday morning.
The homeowners found heavy smoke in their basement, so they went to the neighbors and called 911 at 2:13 a.m., said Deputy Fire Chief William Rice.
Initially, the source of the smoke was difficult to find, but firefighters soon noticed blistering paint behind a bedroom dresser. A thermal imaging camera showed "extremely high heat levels in the wall," Rice said.
Firefighters opened the wall to find a fire. They were able to contain the flames to the bedroom and extinguish it. Damage was estimated at $15,000.
The exact cause of the fire remains under investigation.
- Stefanie Scott
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)