Summer - at least one day of the season - will get hotter this year when a nationally sanctioned chili cooking contest comes to the East Towne district.
The North Avenue Neighborhood Alliance is planning to host Chili'n on the Avenue on July 24, so they need a street festival permit. Alliance President Meg Miller said the group wants to close off North Avenue between 68th and 71st streets and a city parking lot for safety purposes. A music stage, chili village with about 30 chefs, children's area, beer tent and street market of other food and product vendors are expected.
Chili Appreciation Society International is behind the cook-off and it holds more than 600 such events around the world to promote the dish and raise money for local charities. The event likely will draw chili cooks from around Wisconsin, as well as Illinois and Minnesota, offering a lot of exposure to North Avenue, alliance member Bobby Pantuso said.
He hopes the cook-off will become an annual event for the alliance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Thousands of items on sale at Wauwatosa Public Library in late October
- Wauwatosa School District to host 'Autism Insights and Strategies'
- Public invited to name baby giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 8
- In Brief: Nordstrom fundraising; Village streetscaping
- Wauwatosa School Board outlines district development plan (1)
- Proposed Wauwatosa budget would result in lower taxes (1)
- Aurora Health Care plans $35 million improvements at Wauwatosa campus
- In speech at Wauwatosa West, urban farmer Will Allen stresses need for sustainable food systems
- Public invited to Wauwatosa Village streetscape workshop