Summer - at least one day of the season - will get hotter this year when a nationally sanctioned chili cooking contest comes to the East Towne district.
The North Avenue Neighborhood Alliance is planning to host Chili'n on the Avenue on July 24, so they need a street festival permit. Alliance President Meg Miller said the group wants to close off North Avenue between 68th and 71st streets and a city parking lot for safety purposes. A music stage, chili village with about 30 chefs, children's area, beer tent and street market of other food and product vendors are expected.
Chili Appreciation Society International is behind the cook-off and it holds more than 600 such events around the world to promote the dish and raise money for local charities. The event likely will draw chili cooks from around Wisconsin, as well as Illinois and Minnesota, offering a lot of exposure to North Avenue, alliance member Bobby Pantuso said.
He hopes the cook-off will become an annual event for the alliance.
- 360NOW: Wander Wawatosa's village
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes new female giraffe calf
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa seeks volunteers for focus groups on city communication
- Area businesses collaborate to create the 'Cranky Sammie' in East Tosa
- District leaders question use of Wauwatosa schools as voting locations (9)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 2
- Moms get free admission to the zoo
- Pathways High alternative school pushes ahead despite adverse response from Wauwatosa schools
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 17-23