Summer - at least one day of the season - will get hotter this year when a nationally sanctioned chili cooking contest comes to the East Towne district.
The North Avenue Neighborhood Alliance is planning to host Chili'n on the Avenue on July 24, so they need a street festival permit. Alliance President Meg Miller said the group wants to close off North Avenue between 68th and 71st streets and a city parking lot for safety purposes. A music stage, chili village with about 30 chefs, children's area, beer tent and street market of other food and product vendors are expected.
Chili Appreciation Society International is behind the cook-off and it holds more than 600 such events around the world to promote the dish and raise money for local charities. The event likely will draw chili cooks from around Wisconsin, as well as Illinois and Minnesota, offering a lot of exposure to North Avenue, alliance member Bobby Pantuso said.
He hopes the cook-off will become an annual event for the alliance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (1)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 28
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Business Notes: May 28
- Tosa letters to the editor: May 28