Summer - at least one day of the season - will get hotter this year when a nationally sanctioned chili cooking contest comes to the East Towne district.
The North Avenue Neighborhood Alliance is planning to host Chili'n on the Avenue on July 24, so they need a street festival permit. Alliance President Meg Miller said the group wants to close off North Avenue between 68th and 71st streets and a city parking lot for safety purposes. A music stage, chili village with about 30 chefs, children's area, beer tent and street market of other food and product vendors are expected.
Chili Appreciation Society International is behind the cook-off and it holds more than 600 such events around the world to promote the dish and raise money for local charities. The event likely will draw chili cooks from around Wisconsin, as well as Illinois and Minnesota, offering a lot of exposure to North Avenue, alliance member Bobby Pantuso said.
He hopes the cook-off will become an annual event for the alliance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa development for Mayfair Road comes back in modified form
- Wauwatosa's Hoppe Tree Service reuses diseased, dying trees in new Urban Wood Lab
- Wauwatosa Woman's Club tries again for parking expansion
- News and Notes
- Most Wauwatosa schools exceed state expectations on district report card
- 1,001 books before kindergarten is more than just a list
- Biz Buzz: Salon, bakery, and chiropractor opening soon
- Fire Chief pulls support from TosaFest fundraiser after firefighters run ad 'embarrassing' city
- In Our Schools: September 18
- EFW grants inspire enriching classroom curriculum