Summer - at least one day of the season - will get hotter this year when a nationally sanctioned chili cooking contest comes to the East Towne district.
The North Avenue Neighborhood Alliance is planning to host Chili'n on the Avenue on July 24, so they need a street festival permit. Alliance President Meg Miller said the group wants to close off North Avenue between 68th and 71st streets and a city parking lot for safety purposes. A music stage, chili village with about 30 chefs, children's area, beer tent and street market of other food and product vendors are expected.
Chili Appreciation Society International is behind the cook-off and it holds more than 600 such events around the world to promote the dish and raise money for local charities. The event likely will draw chili cooks from around Wisconsin, as well as Illinois and Minnesota, offering a lot of exposure to North Avenue, alliance member Bobby Pantuso said.
He hopes the cook-off will become an annual event for the alliance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa School District creates new mobile app
- Tosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Business Notes: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator
- Former Wauwatosa priest appears in court after several missed appearances
- News and Notes: July 24, 2014 issue