Milwaukee-area Target stores are hearing numerous complaints from people who say they bought video games only to find the product missing from the boxes. Now it is believed the claims are fraudulent.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Last week, the local department was notified that security staff had been investigating a theft ring in which Asian men are purchasing video games from Target stores, then returning empty boxes and claiming there was never a game inside. But really they are buying the games, opening the package and removing the games, then resealing the package and trying to make returns.
The first incidents occurred in January. A man who bought a game at the Brown Deer store returned it at the Wauwatosa location. In February, two more incidents occurred at the local store.
The West Milwaukee Police Department, which handled complaints from Target in its jurisdiction, is heading up the Milwaukee-area investigation from this point on.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Notes: Oct. 15
- Public Forum: Police officers deserve support and thanks
- Wauwatosa fall leaf collection in progress
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Oct. 15
- Wauwatosa's Friends of Center Street Park to hold Fall Fest Oct. 17
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Oct. 15
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Oct. 19
- Thousands of items on sale at Wauwatosa Public Library in late October
- Wauwatosa School District to host 'Autism Insights and Strategies'
- Public invited to name baby giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo